Lil’gun with 220gr pro-hunters.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bradylee

Lil’gun with 220gr pro-hunters.

Post by Bradylee »

Anyone have subsonic load data on 220gr Sierra pro-hunters with lil’gun?
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lil’gun with 220gr pro-hunters.

Post by dpete »

I know this isn't what you are asking about but I did test Lil'gun with 220 gr SMKs. As I recall it worked ok but heated the supressor up very quickly. Like 5-10 shots and can't touch the supressor. After doing some reading here I switched to IMR-4227 and got better accuracy and a much cooler supressor. I still use Lil'gun for supers but may be changing there too for the same heating issue.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I wonder why that is dpete? My original thought was a more efficient burn, and that may still be the case, but they are so close on the burn rate chart. But 4227 is lower, but not by much.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

burn rate (faster vs slower) and burn temperature (degrees) are two seperate things.

lil gun is known to burn hot, as in higher *F, than many other powders. Varget is another one known for that characteristic, and folks complain about it baking carbon on super hard because of it.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks.
Bradylee

Post by Bradylee »

dpete wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:10 am I know this isn't what you are asking about but I did test Lil'gun with 220 gr SMKs. As I recall it worked ok but heated the supressor up very quickly. Like 5-10 shots and can't touch the supressor. After doing some reading here I switched to IMR-4227 and got better accuracy and a much cooler supressor. I still use Lil'gun for supers but may be changing there too for the same heating issue.
Thanks for the info! I did a little testing and I found that 8.2 grains of lil’gun with the 220 gr Sierra pro-hunters gets me around the 1050 FPS mark. Also 100% agree with the heating issue but it doesn’t bother me much since I don’t usually plink with my 300 it’s more for piggies haha. I’m gunna do more testing but I hope this info may help some people.