Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

Last edited by jtaylor996 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Re: Optimal Stragety to find good loads without wasting a lot of bullets and primers?

Post by BobinNC »

The english language sometimes is very imprecise. I don't know how you conduct your ladders or whether you using the actual Audette Ladder method.

I myself use Dan Newberry's OCW method:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace. ... 4529817134

The OCW is more efficient ( meaning less ammo fired) than most ladder methods (again I don't know what you mean by ladders).

Now to address your plan.

I would first drop the 78 grain Leigh, the 125 Sierra HP and the 220 grain cast subs for now.

Working only with the 110 grain Barnes with both H110 and LilGun from below at the MAX COAL, that will work smoothly and feed from your magazine and eject a dummy round from your chamber and properly retain the bullet with a light crimp. Then you only have to worry about making COAL shorter if the accuracy or velocity is not up to your expectations, thus saving even more components.

For the subs, work only with 1680 and one bullet type (preferably 208 AMaX).

The reason for dropping the 78 grain Lehigh and 125 Sierra is that the 110 barnes can replace both as a suitable supersonic load. After the panic is over, you can test the other weights when components like powder and primers are less precious and more available.

On the subs, it's been my experience that cast bullets work poorly in AR15's, and although some folks have had some modicum of success, more have failed miserably. So why waste components on something that is harder to succeed at when the 208 gr AMax is a piece of cake to work up loads for.

In any event do what you will and be safe.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: Optimal Stragety to find good loads without wasting a lot of bullets and primers?

Post by certifiable »

I use a slightly modified version of the OCW method

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... velopment/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Intended use would be helpful.

I’ll pick on the 78 grain Lehigh as it’s probably the most over rated and least understood in your selection. Use it as an example of why intended use is important.

In a 10.5” barrel you will max out around 2600 fps. Because of the pressure grooves, you are very limited on length adjustments you can make to COL. So tuning is difficult.

Then you need to factor in it’s operating velocities. It’s almost worthless below 2300fps. and I would want at least 2400 on impact. That means on a good day you have an effective range of 65-75 yards.

The good news is that since it’s only good to 75 yards, accuracy requirements are not so big of an issue. If you can keep it within an inch at 75 yards, you can shoot someone in the eye, if you Have time to aim. Or everything center mass with only an iron front sight.

As a hunting round there are plenty of better choices, if it’s a personal defense round using 100 rounds to get it right is cheap insurance.

With this bullet and how it is generally used, you need max velocity over max accuracy.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

jtaylor996 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:18 pm
certifiable wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:17 pm I use a slightly modified version of the OCW method

These OCW methods look good. But man I wish I had a single stage press for that. I just have an LNL, making 2-3 rounds each charge on a progressive is a pain in the butt...
Not if you have a micrometer adjustment on you powder drop and have taken the time to chart out what setting will drop x grains of x powder 8)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Here is a snip-it out of my Load Dev notes:
****Rapid Load Development Process****
#1 Start with the rifle and components. Research what “should” work well for your scenario.
This can be from others’ experiences, published load data.
#2 Start load development with 10-shot or expanded 10-shot (50 shot) testing.
#3 Take the best SD/ES values or “speed node” instances from 10-shot/50-shot testing at 100 yards and perform OCW-style or
Ladder group testing (with a focus on maintaining even barrel temperature, etc).
#4 Fine tune parameters to optimize groups at 100 yards. (Bullet seating depth, etc)
#5 Repeat OCW-style testing and parameter fine-tuning until the “magic combination” of low ES/SD and small groups are achieved for the load you are developing.
#6 Enter specifics for optimal load into ballistics app, and create physical dope card for rifle.
#7 Build up inventory of loaded ammunition and go shoot!
https://ultimatereloader.com/2018/02/18 ... creedmoor/
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

certifiable wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 am
jtaylor996 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:18 pm
certifiable wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:17 pm I use a slightly modified version of the OCW method

These OCW methods look good. But man I wish I had a single stage press for that. I just have an LNL, making 2-3 rounds each charge on a progressive is a pain in the butt...
Not if you have a micrometer adjustment on you powder drop and have taken the time to chart out what setting will drop x grains of x powder 8)
i dont use the thrower for that - a powder thrower is best utilized for wash/rinse/repeat reloading after you have your load info developed IMHO

simply use a lee universal powder drop die/funnel and weight the charges off press.

i do it all the time - weigh charges with the chargemaster, and drop them thru the funnel as i go. hand feeding brass 3 at a go isnt hard at that point, even thru the case feeder - i just manually drop them into the hopper feed tube instead of using the case feeder.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.