Powder for 220gr subs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bagman

Powder for 220gr subs

Post by Bagman »

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I got into the 300blk game earlier this year, and have been having a lot of fun with it. I've got a pretty good 110gr supers load worked up at this point, but now I'm thinking about subs. I've settled on 220gr SMK's for <reasons>, and am curious what powders you all would recommend. My research so far says maybe IMR 4227, or VV N105 or 120? But I am certainly open to suggestions from those of you with more experience.

AR w/ 6" bbl and pistol length gas system
No can yet, but plan to run suppressed. Bonus if it will cycle unsuppressed, too.
Looking for a powder that will be quiet, clean, reasonably accurate, reasonably easy to work with.

Also, not dead set on the bullet, but my thinking was heavier was better for cycling subs, for downrange energy, and the 220 SMK's seem to be at least somewhat readily available, which can't be said of everything (looking at you Barnes). But, again, I'm interested in others' experiences.

Thanks in advance!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powder for 220gr subs

Post by plant.one »

availability isnt a manufacturing problem right now - its a purchasing problem, as in everyone is doing way way way more of it than normal.

this is almost as bad as post sandy hook, except for the manufacturing ramp up from then is helping keep some inventory flowing.

i wouldnt be too hard on any mfg/retailer. we've had 4 of the highest months of gun sales ever, back to back to back to back with the combination of the upcoming election & the unrest in the various city's around the country.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powder for 220gr subs

Post by Ben B. »

I’ve loaded maybe 5K - 6K subs, shot about 4K of those. I have NOT tried to wring out accuracy with subs, just for goofing off/plinking loads. If a sub load makes a 5 shot group “about” an inch or less at 50 yds, I’m happy. I’ve only used 1680, IMR 4227 and Lil’Gun for subs. I’ve tried 8-10 different bullets. I like 4227 and it seems available on shelves.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.