What is your quietest loads from a bolt gun?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Student

What is your quietest loads from a bolt gun?

Post by Student »

Hi everyone,
I am new here and inexperienced, so excuse me if I ask a stupid question that may seem obvious to you (and take it easy on me;))

I have played with 308 subs out of a 1:10 twist, 20” bbl, bolt with 180 gr sst using trail boss and that was crazy quiet. Grouping about 1.25” at 100 yards. Trying to do the same if not better with a faster twist and heavier bullets.

I need your help on load data for 16.5” bolt gun, with a 1:7 twist bbl, 300 blk (obviously).

I have access to 208 eld match, 220 eld-x, 220 rn interlock, and 220 smk.

Could you share with me your pet load for the quietest and tightest grouping load.

Please include the powder brand, load charge, primers (including brand, not just small rifle), and oal. That would help immensely!

Thanks!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: What is your quietest loads from a bolt gun?

Post by rebel »

Tons of info here viewtopic.php?f=141&t=92768 and on the load data sticky below that. Faster powders are generally quiet. For what you are doing VV 105 or VV110 might be just the ticket. Play with seating depths for best accuracy. I use CCI 450's for 300 BLK. Giving you an exact load would be detrimental to you as you need to learn the process and it might not work well in your rifle.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I agree with Rebel. There is a few threads here all on subs.

But you need to taylor to your gun. Not all are same or even safe in all guns. As the powders are different dont for a second feel you cannot over pressure such a loading!!!

I never found acceptable to me accuracy with long heavy jacketed bullets as subs. Many do, I did not. BUT, my cast are working VERY WELL! I bought a Lyman modified 311284 HP mold. It drops a 210g pretty large and quite deep HP. (Different hardness alloys wil change the weight the mold drops) But by adjusting that alloy I have made a bullet that will ALWAYS expand at the velocity I have created. Fun stuff!!

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

trail boss. movie quiet type stuff. its the one subsonic load that anyone i've shot it around brags about to their friends

i was just at a family grad party last weekend and i was asked a half dozen times "did you bring that suppressor with you" "oh man.. i wanted to shoot some of them really quiet ones again"

like.. ya'll gotta warn me we're gonna play and i need to bring toys and such lol
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Aint ya ever herd of a barbi que gun?? ;)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS