About to start reloading for the 300....

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

yetavon

About to start reloading for the 300....

Post by yetavon »

My weapons... 8.5 in AR pistol and a 16 in AR rifle (new and not fired).
Use is more plinking, but the opportunity to put a deer in the freezer does arise on occasion.
Equipment, Lee single stage with about 25 years of use, a Turret I haven't used yet.
Have around 250 once fired 300 brass prepped and cleaned. plenty of 223 to cut down if I want more.
Primers are in short supply, have some small rifle, and a bunch of CCI small pistol magnum primers...
Powders include IMR 4227, H-110, Green Dot and one that eludes me at the moment.
200 Box of Berrys plated 220 grain...
Then a large collection of 30 Cal that came from an estate sale 120-185 grains... Im assuming from all the 30-06 stuff in the same box.
Still researching more info before I pull the trigger...
Any words of warning or wisdom?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: About to start reloading for the 300....

Post by cwlongshot »

Are you new to reloading?

Do you have the other equipment required to reload?

Not all brass is appropriate. We have a list here in a sticky. The short version is when cut and sized some will leave you with too much thickness in the neck. And dangerous pressures can result when fired as the brass cannot release the bullet properly. I dont mean to scare or discourage. But these are important things to know.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
yetavon

Post by yetavon »

CW thank you for your concern... makes me feel like im in the right place...
I started reloading with the Lee 35th anniversary kit 25 years ago... mostly pistol Makarov and 9mm.
Some shotgun 12 and 20 with lee loader
Only Rifle was a few 270 that i got all the parts and recipe for with the gun...
Stuff got put up several years back but continued to add parts and pieces...
And ready to start loading up for the 300, and a bunch of 223...
Had read about the brass, and also on using CCI Mag pistol primers...
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

OK good so you have at least a basic knowledge of whats involved. ♥️

The lil 300 isnt hard to load for. Its a awesome
Lil bugger for most of us here!!

When talking hunting ya need remember this isnt a high velocity caliber. Also with the knowledge that most all Rifle bullets require 1800+ FPS for reliable preformance, choices are more limited then for many calibers.

There are a few 300 Specific bullets available to reloaders that help in this regard allot!! Here is a few I know of, Hornady Has two. A 135 FTX and 110 GMX, Speer has the 150 Gold Dot and Barnes the 110 Blk Tip tac. That one is a huge HP capped with a pointy blk plastic.
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

With 300 BO, have a chrono and know your bullet limitations. Minimum fps for expansion will let you know what’s your bullet of choice will do. I stick with 110 gr bullets for better velocity.
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

Just started myself, realizing that a lot of these manufacturers don’t manufacture.308 specifically for 300 aac. Make sure you know what velocity your bullet is designed to expand at if you wand defense/hunting rounds. I suggest getting some 110 barnes tsx or sierra varminter. Besides that plinking rounds become so cheap, you’re going to wonder why the hell these bullet manufacturing companies charge so damn much. Its a racket.
“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

cwlongshot wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:23 am Are you new to reloading?

Not all brass is appropriate. We have a list here in a sticky. The short version is when cut and sized some will leave you with too much thickness in the neck. And dangerous pressures can result when fired as the brass cannot release the bullet properly. I dont mean to scare or discourage. But these are important things to know.

CW
Can i get a link?
“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Spaghetti wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:26 am

CW
Can i get a link?
It’s in the handloading section, top post, can’t miss it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

and since he apparently has... due to asking about it again in the same section its posted in... :roll: :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88599
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Spaghetti

Post by Spaghetti »

dellet wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:53 am
Spaghetti wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:26 am

CW
Can i get a link?
It’s in the handloading section, top post, can’t miss it.
Thanks new here... i also have no idea how to reply without doing the quote thing (if there is a way) so forgive me.