Turning case necks

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Wes1982

Turning case necks

Post by Wes1982 »

Hello. I’m new to reloading the 300bo to start with and need a little help. I’ve ordered some 220 gr hi-tek bullets and converted brass. Will I need to turn the neck on the brass to run the hi-tek 220’s?
Rockingj

Re: Turning case necks

Post by Rockingj »

Turning case necks is dependent on the case manufacturer. So far the only cases that I have found that need turning are the Sellier & Bellote cases, head stamped S&B, that I have converted from .223 or 5.56. I have a pretty vast variety of cases from many different manufacturers, it is all range brass. I use a case gauge to test after resizing and after seating bullets. If they fit the gauge they are good to go in my case! I have not used the particular bullet that you mentioned, but if they are properly sized they should work.
John Brock
Rocking J Metalworks
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Hard to say without knowing the neck thickness. In any case, you will need to bell the case mouth to prevent shaving the coating off when seating. Most will recommend the Lyman M die for belling and the Lee collet crimp die to finish things . I was unaware of the Lyman M die back when...so I used the belling die from my Hornady .38 Special/.357 Mag die set. Adjusted to accept all my coated bullets for the BLK. And, I still haven't ordered the Lyman die :shock:
Wes1982

Post by Wes1982 »

Most of my brass will be LC converted brass. I’m hoping to not have to turn them. I’m not sure if I picked the best time or the worst time to start reloading for the BO, but I do know I couldn’t afford to shoot it much unless I reload. Thank you guys for your input!