110 gr subsonic

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Patriot1776

110 gr subsonic

Post by Patriot1776 »

I just finished my form 1 8” SD can. I was doing some sound experiments. I have a 8” palmetto state pistol AR. I loaded a 110 grain spire point Hornady with 11.4 grains CFE BLK at 2.050 OAL. I loaded 2 expecting a single shot load but it cycled. I loaded 3 more and all cycled with can. My question is: is there anything wrong using these? They are quiet. There is no subsonic load data for this subsonic load on Sierra’s site. Everyone says they don’t cycle or don’t use 110 gr subs. There is a lot of powder space. Any dangers or did I stumble on a good load?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 110 gr subsonic

Post by dellet »

There is no immediate danger, but CFE is unpredictable with low density loads. It shows up with extreme velocity spreads.

The other thing to watch out for is that it burns very poorly, so you end up with a lot of incompletely or unburned powder in your suppressor and fire control group, trigger. Powder in the trigger makes for unreliable firing and cycling.

I have never seen a can blow up do to powder accumulation, but it will burn a lot hotter and shorten the life span.

When I played with a similar combination I started having cycling issues around 10-15 rounds. So much crap in the chamber and barrel extension that the bolt could not close.

For what it’s worth, Maker bullets has a 110 grain subsonic expanding bullet that will feed in an AR.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

I think you were right. I took apart my silencer and it beyond dirty. I had to knock out my baffles with a hammer. I tried my 220 gr with the cfe blk I loaded and it was still very dirty. I may find another powder.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

give shooters world blackout or shooters world socom a try for your subs.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Or try pistol powder instead. That lite bullet is so easy to push that sub and function are a fight. Yea lots of crud as the bolt opens too early.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

popper wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:04 pm Or try pistol powder instead. That lite bullet is so easy to push that sub and function are a fight. Yea lots of crud as the bolt opens too early.
Why/How does the bolt open too early?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.