Seating bullet deformation

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Northern300

Seating bullet deformation

Post by Northern300 »

I cant figure out why my bullets (Seirra tipped gameking) 180gr. are getting this weird deformed tip when I seat them, any suggestion to stop this from happening? I'm using RCBS 300AAC SB T/C AR series 2pc die set. I'll link a picture below

Deformed https://imgur.com/gallery/4xbYPLa
Last edited by Northern300 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Seating bullet deformation

Post by rlandry6 »

It's from the edge of the seating stem toughing the ogive. If you have a particular bullet you use, the die manufacturer can grind the stem to match the bullet. They charge $10-15 to do it.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Northern300

Post by Northern300 »

ah ok thanks.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

If your seating depth is compressing the powder charge, some powders resist being packed down. The result as the bullet is seated is the ring from the pressure applied. Powder used, OAL and charge weight would be good info for someone here to assist. You can check using a fired case not yet sized/deprimed. If the bullet will not drop down to your desired OAL when pressed against the powder...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That’s probably more than a stem fit issue.

As TR said compression is a likely cause.

The other possibilities are too tight of a neck, or a seating die that crimps adjusted too far down. If the crimp starts too soon, it will be interfering with the seating of the bullet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Northern300

Post by Northern300 »

After messing with it a bit more and seating a dummy round that the dummy round did not deform. So I think your right about the seating depth and powder has to be the cause. I picked up a pack of the Sierra 180gr. TGK to just check them out and probably wont be buying more. My next question would be do you think with the slight deform tip is it safe to shoot? I can bet the accuracy is severely going to take a hit but for plinking what do you think? Also any of you have a favorite bullet you would recommend?
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Occasionally we bid on damaged loaded ammo to be pulled down. I have pulled and fired Vmax, SP, and other polymer tipped brands. The tip damage didn't really seem to cause any real loss of accuracy out to 2-300 yds( all .223/5.56 ). These bullets had tips half gone, bent off center and just plan ugly. For our general shooting and some ground squirrel blasting, none of the shooters expressed any accuracy concerns. A new bullet would likely show an accuracy edge, but hey, these were working. If the bother you, snip the polymer off and shoot em :P