Primer compatability

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

alright@1

Primer compatability

Post by alright@1 »

Is there a difference in Remington 7.5 primers and a Federal Match small rifle primer as far as loading?

I was going to load:

200 gr. cast bullets
11.3 gr AR 1680
Rem 7.5 primers... but they far been out of stock forever... I did pick up a couple K of Federal Match primers... are they equally compatible?

ThanX
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Primer compatability

Post by Sig220 »

IMHO, the change in primers wont cause you any catastrophic problems.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

as long as you do some good basic load development testing - you should be just fine.

might have to fine tune a bit for the velocity you're searching for, but with them being sub loads you shouldn't be in a unsafe testing scenario.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
MDarren

Post by MDarren »

Funny enough, I use CCI small pistol primers for about everything I reload. It has worked perfectly fine with all of my 300 blackout ammo and when I finally got some small rifle primers there was a negligible change in feet per second. Now I know most people will say here you shouldn’t be using those, but I live on a very small island and getting components it’s a bit tough. I have been reloading for quite a while pistol and I had 13,000 primers. So that’s what I use. But again I’ve had no problems using them for 300 blackout rifle ammo.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The Rem 7 1/2 is slightly hotter and has a thicker primer cup than the Fed GMM SR Primer.
Min issue switching between the two.

The biggest issue using small pistol primers is the risk of slam fires due to the AR15 floating firing pin, as well as an increased risk of pierced primers.
(Small Pistol Primers have a thinner primer cup.)
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain