Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers were the only ones I could get. How do i adjust my loads?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BachmannBlackOut

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers were the only ones I could get. How do i adjust my loads?

Post by BachmannBlackOut »

So i've got the following loading materials.

Hodgon H110

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers

Hornady #3031 30 cal 150 gr. SP. Interlock
Speer # 2034 boat tail 30 cal 165 gr.
Speer # 2011 30 cal 150 gr.

Once shot (by me) brass.

None of the loading data I can find show data using Magnum primers. I was hoping some folks here could tell me how they load theirs. I've seen several people here talk about using magnum primers. Over on Reddit, some folks seem to think thats just a recipe for disaster.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers were the only ones I could get. How do i adjust my loads?

Post by 20X11 »

They'll be fine. If you have a proven load you use, back down a half grain and load up a ladder for verification. If you are starting from a published load, start a little lower, then work up as normal. Most of the difference in small rifle magnum primers is in cup thickness rather than burn.
BachmannBlackOut

Re: Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers were the only ones I could get. How do i adjust my loads?

20X11 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm They'll be fine. If you have a proven load you use, back down a half grain and load up a ladder for verification. If you are starting from a published load, start a little lower, then work up as normal. Most of the difference in small rifle magnum primers is in cup thickness rather than burn.
This is my first time getting into reloading so I don’t have any type of load I use yet.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Be cautious of Facebook and reddit hand loading advice.

I've been using SRM primers in ARs since the dawn of time. Wolf was my all time favorite until they ceased importing them many years ago. Wideners used to sell them for $16 per thousand.

Where did you get wolf primers, if I may ask? I'd love to get more.
BachmannBlackOut

golfindia wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:49 pm Be cautious of Facebook and reddit hand loading advice.

I've been using SRM primers in ARs since the dawn of time. Wolf was my all time favorite until they ceased importing them many years ago. Wideners used to sell them for $16 per thousand.

I got them locally, Sorry! They only set 4 packs out for sale from their back room stash. Luckily no one else came to check, and i got all four of them. 1 per day limit. $4 per hundred though.

So do you have any advice on how I should approach safely loading with the Wolf SRM's?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

BachmannBlackOut wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:54 pm
golfindia wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:49 pm Be cautious of Facebook and reddit hand loading advice.

I got them locally, Sorry! They only set 4 packs out for sale from their back room stash. Luckily no one else came to check, and i got all four of them. 1 per day limit. $4 per hundred though.

So do you have any advice on how I should approach safely loading with the Wolf SRM's?
Tough times when primers are being sold by the hundred...!

They stopped importing primers from the Murom plant(Tula and Wolf) in late 2014.

Just work up loads with them in the same way you would with any other primer. The cups are too hard for light actions, but not an issue for ARs. Some people say they are hotter than regular primers, but Ive never done a comparison.