PSD Primer Pockets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Snozzelquaf

PSD Primer Pockets

Post by Snozzelquaf »

Good evening all,

Have been following for quite some time now, first time poster, so please forgive me in advance if i failed to acknowledge another post else where in regards to my same question.

I am currently reloading 556 on my Lyman All American 8 turret press incorporating my Lyman .223 Rem die, i am hand loading in accordance to SAAMI specifications and using published data by Lyman's 50th edition.

Unfortunately i am reloading once fired "PSD" stamped brass, and to my understanding this is South Korea's military ammunition manufacture for PMC.. now if im not mistaken this is were my problem lies..

I am prepping the brass by means of rudimentary hand-tools and validating my die set up and case dimensions by a Lyman head-space gauge, i have determined a very tight "make-up" when attempting the priming process. The pockets are left with a .002" press fit have about a .119" deep pocket for a .120" thick Winchester WSR small rifle primer..

Because of these dimensions i am left with primers protruding up above the face of the cartridge, this of course is considered a no no but i simply can not seat these any deeper by my lyman presses mechanical operation..

Just eagerly looking for some much appreciated advise on how i could increase my chances of success with my current operation as i am highly frustrated and at a loss.. is it just the brass, is there another operation anyone here could suggest. I am not looking for super accurate loads at this time as im new to the lifestyle and just want to start producing ammunition for our various auto-loading rifles

And help our viable input would be most appreciated, thank you all in advance for your time and much appreciated consideration, looking forward to what you guys have to say!

Respectfully..
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin
exexex

Re: PSD Primer Pockets

Post by exexex »

Sounds like the brass has a primer crimp that has to be removed. A lot of military brass has it and if yours is marked as something other than 223, then that's your problem. You can usually eyeball to confirm this: there will be an embossed circle around the primer hole (the crimp). There are cheap tools to ream out the crimp by hand or in a drill. More expensive options to swage (push the metal back) are available. This is the biggest downside to reloading 556, which is usually good brass.
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Post by Smurky »

I’d suggest getting a Ballistic Tools small primer pocket tool, reasonably inexpensive tool that will ensure the primer pockets are good to go or there is an issue. The gauge has a go and no go side and also a notch to confirm proper depth on the go side.
phils3
Silent Operator

Post by phils3 »

The Lyman case prep multi tool comes with a pocket reamer. You use the bit in any regular hand drill. Also, any primers that stick out a bit (before powder and bullet!!!) I just give a good mash with a RCBS hand primer. Works every time.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Either clean, square, and swage the primer pockets or use better brass. With your current setup/process you are risking a slam fire. Not good for you or the guy next to you at the range.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Hornady and others make crimp removal tools and rcbs makes a depth cutter. If you don't clean the PP it can be a problem with accumulated junk at the bottom. You do NOT want primers sticking out of the case - not safe. You can deprime (slow and safe) cases if PP is bad, primers still good. I use a hornady hand primer tool and no problems. There are factorytolerances, metric vs english problems so Korean stuff may take extra effort to work.