150 Grain Fully Functioning Subsonic Load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

150 Grain Fully Functioning Subsonic Load

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Hello all, this is my first post. Been getting a lot of good info from reading this site, so much appreciated. I'm not entirely sure where to post this or if it should be a new thread so, please move if appropriate.

Anyway, I have been working on figuring out the most economical way to shoot the rifle subsonic. Not interested in hunting/defense/super accuracy or anything like that with this load. Just looking for a fun steel plinking/practice load for cheap money. Some of the heavier bullets in most of the subsonic loads I come across are just so expensive. And some of the lighter and cheaper bullets make for really quiet single shot only loads but don't cycle the action. Anyway, I found that there are a lot of 150s available to me in bulk for a lot cheaper than the heavier bullets that are more commonly used in subs. But I haven't come across a ton of good loading data for subsonic and 100% reliable functioning. The following set up and load I have found to be 100% reliable in function and subsonic, and is a published load from Sierra that you can find in the link below:

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/12/2 ... load-data/

150 Grain Hornady Interlock Soft Point
C.O.A.L 2.140
12 Grains of Alliant Reloader 7
CCI 41 primer

16" Barrel with pistol length gas system
Rifle stock with rifle buffer tube/spring/buffer
No suppressor
ironhead7544

Re: 150 Grain Fully Functioning Subsonic Load

Post by ironhead7544 »

Thanks for the info.

I have a pistol gas system, some Re7 and Berry's 150 gr 30-30 Plated RS bullets. I will give them a try.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: 150 Grain Fully Functioning Subsonic Load

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Awesome. Let me know how it works out. I was suprised they worked so well with my rifle buffer system. Haven't tried it on a carbine lower yet, but I would think that would be even more forgiving of light loads. Also, I won't suggest using a lighter load than what Sierra has published, but I will say that I've tried everything from 11.2 on up and it has all been 100% reliable. Again, only use loads published by a reliable source like Sierra.