Cfe-Blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Tripleb

Cfe-Blk

Post by Tripleb »

Hey,

New to loading and have not loaded a round yet. I planned to initially to load subsonic so i bought CFE-Blk. Sounds like i should of bought 1160. But any way when i tried to get some 200g bullets i could not so i bought the 180g from Berry’s. So i will load them supersonic. The Hodgdon tech says barrel size does not matter just load the powder weight they recommend.

My AR pistol is a 9”. Curious what insight or experience anyone cares to share using cfe-black out in super and sub.

I will be using cci 450 primers.

Thank you.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cfe-Blk

Post by dellet »

Tripleb wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm Hey,

New to loading and have not loaded a round yet. I planned to initially to load subsonic so i bought CFE-Blk. Sounds like i should of bought 1160. But any way when i tried to get some 200g bullets i could not so i bought the 180g from Berry’s. So i will load them supersonic. The Hodgdon tech says barrel size does not matter just load the powder weight they recommend.

My AR pistol is a 9”. Curious what insight or experience anyone cares to share using cfe-black out in super and sub.

I will be using cci 450 primers.

Thank you.
Since the Hodgdon rep would have been better off telling you he had no clue how to help you, let's see if we can keep you out of trouble.

Start with even by some slim chance he was right and barrel length does not matter in this application and look at Hodgdon data. Load data starts just over 1500 fps. No subs there, but the bigger issue is that Berry's is very clear about not exceeding 1500 fps with there plated bullets. :shock:

Lucky for you that you 9" barrel will lose possibly as much as 200 fps. At least enough to be able to use the bullets.

Berry's will have a COL for you to start. It's 2.150"

If you want to try subs, I would start around 12 grains and check velocity and function.

Getting getting function should not be a problem, getting accuracy and consistency with that light of a load probably will be.

That powder sucks with low volume loads and that's what you will have even approaching 1500 fps. The short barrel will be your friend. I would keep adding powder until you hit 1475 and call it good for a super load.

Probably not the best combo start start your loading career out with
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Light loads of cfe blk is filthy. Prob 14gr will work for you. Seating shorter than 2" (if ogive will allow )will bring up pressure so it's not too bad. If you can find some 2400, 8.5 gr will be sub, 10gr will be ~ 1500 fps. Not too dirty. I got 9gr cfe pistol to cycle my 10" BO. 4227 & Rx7 also work if you can find it. Plated isn't as bad as jacketed but still work DOWN on the load and check for stuck bullets to avoid blow-up. Unique and 231 are fun but don't operate the action, 5-6 gr gives a pop for sound.
Tripleb

Post by Tripleb »

Thank you. I have some 300 BlkOut 200 g bullets that split open when fired. CFE-Blk recommends 11.4 for sub with 200 grain. So i will try it. The man that makes the bullet full rounds does not use CFE. But he agreed with me to try the 180 g Berry’s bullets at 11 g. I just ordered a Chronograph. If i do not dialing them in quick i will just make them super.

When i first purchased the AR Pistol i bought 220 range grade subs. The gun short cycled most rounds.

Then i bought Fochhi 220 g subs that cycled good. And also some 115 g supers.

Today i fired some of the Makers 220 g expanding heads and they cycled perfect.

Then i tried 30 of the 220 g sub range ammo that would not cycle when the gun had only a few rounds through it.

Today they all cycled fine so maybe gun break in is a real thing.

Pew pew!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

You need to understand that different powder have different burn rates, different temperatures and different pressure curves.

Then you have pressure bleed before the bullet reaches your port. Pressure needs to be at least say 5k AT THE PORT to cycle. Some powders do that NO ISSUE, some NEVER WILL. But untold numbers will hit the 1050 magic vel number...

Then you have a mariad of other things effecting your firearms ability to cycle. Port size. Port position. (Most are pistol length so best bet to cycle subs as dwell time is shortest an d pressures kept lil higher.

Then there is the world of supressors. They change pressure at the port, cause they almost all cause a bit if back pressure.

So as you have no idea what powder a given maker uses you dont know if its going to cycle reliably or at all!

CFE-BLK is liked and can work just fine. I find it more costly that 1680 and hasnt been proven to be any better.

A Chrony is most helpful.

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS