Barrys 180 g for sub?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Tripleb

Barrys 180 g for sub?

Post by Tripleb »

I like shooting the 300 black out so much i want to make my own rounds. A coworker sold me his Hornady AP. So now i am waiting for everything to show up. I bought CFE blk powder. But the only bullets i could fine were Barrys 180g. I hoping i can shoot these sub but it does not seem a popular idea. But i am uncertain. I am a bit worried about short cycling if i use these 180g with light powder. I will not have the suppressor for a few months. I have fired 130 g super sonic and 220 g sub. No other 300 blk out. Any insight anyone cares to share is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barrys 180 g for sub?

Post by cwlongshot »

These mid weights can be hit or miss as subs.

Personally Im not a fan of these plated bullets but many folks like them.

I find Subs are best with heavy for caliber offerings.

But try them for yourself, then you will know first hand.

Its NOT at all a NONO.

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Tripleb

Post by Tripleb »

Thanks.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

It's powder choice for reliable mid weight sub loads. I load the 180 grn Rainier wedge with IMR4227 with good subsonic results as for CFE Blk it needs to be slightly compressed for consistant SD's. 4198, trail boss, lil gun are some other good choices.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Even though I wasn't taking part in this discussion until now I've been following it. :D I started getting ready to reload subs a few years ago when I put a conversion on order for a rifle that had yet to be delivered. One of the items I put on the reloading shelves were a few boxes of Berry 180s. In looking at the load data just recently I figured I was in deep kimchi 'cause most of what I saw told me that they were best used for supersonic loads. But I have 2 powders mentioned in the thread that should do the job.

If I don't need to go over 200 grains to get subsonic performance, well, that makes for less expensive shooting and I doubt that the target will notice much of a difference between the SD of a 180 vs a 220, especially if it's a straight through hole. (If I'm wrong there please let me know)

Thanks.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BJK wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:34 am Even though I wasn't taking part in this discussion until now I've been following it. :D I started getting ready to reload subs a few years ago when I put a conversion on order for a rifle that had yet to be delivered. One of the items I put on the reloading shelves were a few boxes of Berry 180s. In looking at the load data just recently I figured I was in deep kimchi 'cause most of what I saw told me that they were best used for supersonic loads. But I have 2 powders mentioned in the thread that should do the job.

If I don't need to go over 200 grains to get subsonic performance, well, that makes for less expensive shooting and I doubt that the target will notice much of a difference between the SD of a 180 vs a 220, especially if it's a straight through hole. (If I'm wrong there please let me know)

Thanks.
Using CFE BLK and a light bullet with a low density load is likely to not show up in the target at all. As in miss it completely past 50 yards. Triple digit ES numbers tend to do that at any distance. The powder basically sucks for sub sonic use because it’s hard to get the compression it needs to burn.

What you can get away with shooting subs depends on barrel length and operating system. If it’s hand fed any bullet works, about the lighted practical bullet is 80 grains.

My light AR load is 125 grains, but that is an 8” barrel. That load uses 4227.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Tripleb

Post by Tripleb »

I have a AR Pistol with 9” barrel. I only bought the 180 g because it was all i could find. And with out doing much research i figured since the CFE-Blk was developed for 300 BlkOut then it must be good for subsonic. But maybe not. I can try to get some 1680 and see whats what. I just got a chronograph today. I will make a few 180 g sub and measure the velocity. If they suck i will make the rounds super. I have 2000 of them.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If I wanted good info on plated 180 sub loads, I would go through threads by Bob the nailer. Maybe flat out ask him for help since he posted in this thread by quoting him.

Bob the nailer post history
search.php?author_id=61403&sr=posts
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.