Help with bullet weight and uses.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

gregoblv

Help with bullet weight and uses.

Post by gregoblv »

I have built a 300 BO AR and I reload for my other guns so I will reload for this one too. I have been reading other 'newby' threads about specific bullet weights and they seem to be very limited to what they have in mind. I know what I would like to do with the gun, but am not sure the best way to do it.

So let me start by telling you what I have. It is a 16", carbine length, 1/8 twist and I do not have a can and do not know if I will get one, at least for a while.

Now what I would like to do with it, lite hunting and defense. Range of no more then 200 yards but more like 100. And be the go to ranch rifle/plinker.

That said, I am looking for info on what I should load. Lite(110 - 150gr) high velocity or heavy(above 150) low velocity rounds. And with the heavier bullets, should I push them to super speeds or not. Also what about cast and coated lead?

I have seen some talk about the 125/135 range for deer and I would think that would deal with any pests, 2 or 4 legged, that I would come upon. But is that the best I can use? I am not restricted to any preconceptions as to what would be the best so please give me your ideas.

ED: Should I bother with subs until and if I get a can?
Saxon
Silent Operator

Re: Help with bullet weight and uses.

Post by Saxon »

i also have a 16", carbine length gas, 1/8 twist
i load supers and subs
for real world i shoot hornady black 110 v max
sierra 110 HP can be loaded to the same trajectory real easy for reloading,
i also like shooting plinking subs you can load down far enough (depending on bullet and powder)
that you don't "have" to wear ear plugs the rainier 180 wedge (UGH) sounds like a sub sonic 22
great for blasting nutria ;)
gregoblv

Post by gregoblv »

Well, it has been over a week since I posted this and got 1 response that frankly gave me little info and did not answer my questions. I was hoping from an in-site into what bullets should be used for what and got nothing.

Thank you for your input Saxon.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I shoot 145gr GC cast PCd in my 1:10 carbine, works fine. ~2k fps. so 100 yd shots work great. Longer range 125 sst or 110 vmax. I use 170 gr cast PB PC in the pistol ~ 1400 fps for nice PCC 50 yd performance. H110/W296 work but watch top & bottom end loads, they can be spiky. Haven't had problems with other normal BO powders.
Can would be nice but 3k$ is much for me, muffs are lots cheaper. Political climate at this time says no even if I had the $$. Oh lancer mags work best for me.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I seldom offer a answer to one of the most common questions here. No offense meant, but ask your question via Google or search by subject on Youtube. Great way to start your knowledge base for 300 BLK, and you will spend hours sorting out what others have done. This is all the time I now have, perhaps others will to post up some links to some of the better data sources etc. Audios amigo 8)
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I can't tell you what you should do, and frankly I haven't loaded any ammo yet, but what follows is my plan.

Lightweight fast movers in the 110-125 grain range. 125s woujd be preferable since I already use them in other cartridges. I like not having to stock lots of different bullets. For subsonic I'm hoping I can get acceptable accuracy from either inexpensive plated or coated bullets in weights somewhere above 180 grains. That's the plan. But it could be subject to adding another load that uses subsonic Lehigh(?) expanders for home defense. But that is way off in the future if at all.

There are quality jacketed heavy .308 bullets, but they're intended for supersonic loads in long range cartridges and are overkill for subsonic loads, they're expensive too. Far too expensive for "just shooting". Hence my hopes that the much less expensive plated or coated heavy bullets will give me what I want. FWIW, I haven't found anyone with them in stock at this time, but I have my name on "inform me" lists.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Velocity and bullet expansion is king. Do your research to find what you can be happy with. Me, I stay with 110 grain bullets. Your wallet will dictate.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I would buy some 125gr Speer TnT's and some W296/H110 or even some Alliant MP-300 powder and load away. The TnT is relatively inexpensive and accurate. It will handle home defense/and about any game up to whitetail size. I have the same length/twist barrel and that projectile to me can't be beat. The Speer Gold Dot made for the 300BO is also a excellent projectile, and also performs well in hunting situations so it should also be a good home defense load. The Gold Dot is a top performer in handgun ammunition and this projectile is also a top performer in 300BO, there is one for .308 that is very similar, so make sure you get the right one. Gold dot's are famous for being barrier blind projectiles that perform under difficult situations.
I think the lowest velocity for full expansion is around 1650fps, so they can handle things down range!

I wouldn't worry about subs until on down the road. Get some loads under your belt, get some shooting done and then expand your choices.

I don't play much with cast bullets as I don't see a need for them when I can get the Tnt's. I have a supply, but will probably wait until I can powder coat them before sending them downrange as I don't want to clean lead out of my barrel!

So there ya go! I have been reloading for about 45 years and hope to make it for 45 more years. Take a afternoon, maybe a weekend and do a search on this site for Gold Dot and Speer Tnt's you might have to change the search words a little but should find all the reading you will want to do. Speer does not list any loads for Tnt's in 300BO that I am aware of but at the speeds BO shooters launch them they perform well. You should have no problem finding a starting place in loads for it and moving up to find a accuracy node or two.

Good Luck, shoot straight and have fun!
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Back after finishing bathroom remodel....Sig220 mentioned my favorite powder with 110-125 gr bullets: 300-MP. H110 and 296 are great, but 300-MP has just a bit more safety in the pressure curve...and is clean burning compared to the above. What can I say, I'm a fan.

The 125 TNT is a nicely accurate and smooth feeding bullet with a bulk price that makes it affordable and fun to shoot. I purchased my own RCBS single stage press in 1971, having reloaded .22-250 on a buddies gear prior to that. Yep, still a hand loadin' crank and like my bride and baking , I love trying new recipes.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I’d like to help, but can’t. I spent about 6-7 years loading almost exclusively for the cartridge and still can’t pick a bullet.

With a 16” AR you can do a lot. Most 308 bullets will expand down to 1800 fps. A good number down to around 1600. Those designed for the 30-30 fit that category. Within 100 yards, most of those up to 175-180 grains will work if you can get 2000 fps. on the lighter end of the weight scale you have some 85 grain bullets that you can easily push to 2800.

Above 180 grains it gets interesting, if you want to polish your loading/shooting skills you basically have a 22LR with a 250 grain bullet.

Part of the hesitancy to give you an answer or help, is the width and depth of the subject and lack of narrowing that down on your part. Best I can do is decide if you want to shoot a pistol caliber rifle or something more on the low end of a high powered cartridge. One of the things that helped me sort things out was to stop treating the cartridge as a single cartridge. I load about 6 completely different ways. Cast/jacketed high and low velocity, gas gun or hand fed, single shot, 6” barrel or 24”.

Your shooting style might dictate your choice. You can choose a bullet that will basically hold 4” point of aim for 200 yards or one that has about 48” arc. Both will serve the outline you laid out, you will probably prefer one over the other.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.