Intermittent Pressure Signs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

b1gje55e

Intermittent Pressure Signs

Post by b1gje55e »

I worked up a load for my 300. 18.8gr of LilGun under a Hornady 125gr FMJ w/#41 primers in converted LC brass. I was looking for 2000fps and nailed it at ~2020fps with a good SD and accuracy. Its below the maximum published data from Hornady by 1.2grs. During my testing I had zero pressure signs even on loads hotter than what I settled on (all the way to max).
Thursday I ran some drills and noticed a few of the cases had extractor marks. Approximately 8 or so out of the 75 had signs.
The weather was almost identical to my initial tests and I don't think the Sahara Dust is gonna effect pressures 😉.

My question is what could be causing these intermittent signs and should I be concerned?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Intermittent Pressure Signs

Post by Sig220 »

I would not be concerned enough to stop shooting them and throw them in the river.

Think about the operation of a AR15, how the bolt turns as it unlocks and starts moving backward in recoil. I have ejector swipes from factory ammo and just keep on churning. If you find a case that is hard to fit in your shell holder during reloading, I would find that more concerning. In my practices, they get thrown in the trash. But ejector swipes without any thing else to say, "Whoa! like velocity spikes, primer issues, case web expansion....(I am probably leaving out something) I just keep on going. That is my opinion, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night or in the last 3 months. Your experiences may be different then mine, in that case use your own judgement. Shoot Safe and have fun!
b1gje55e

Post by b1gje55e »

Thanks for the feedback!
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

b1gje55e wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 pm Thanks for the feedback!
You are welcome! I also want to welcome you to the forum! There is a world of information about the 300BO. I mainly focus on reloading as that is what I enjoy most besides shooting!

It may be a little slow around here during the heat of summer, but when the temps fade the board sizzles with activity!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

what temp did you do your load developement at vs what temp were you shooting?

18.8 grains of LG under a 125gr bullet should be pretty safe, but if you did your load testing in 65* weather and are shooting in 90+ degree weather you might be right on the edge of a pressure situation. might be interesting to run them over the chrono again to see if the FPS is the same or has increased.

again - based on your results and description, probably nothing i'd be too worried about. but some extra data collection may well give you the answer you're looking for.

keep us posted.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.