Load Question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Redmt

Load Question

Post by Redmt »

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not new to reloading. I have a wild boar problem. My usual rifle is 5.56 or 6.5 Creedmoor. The 5.56 is too light for some of the bigger pigs that have moved in. The 6.5 trashes too much of the skull for trophy ear shots and too much meat for shots to the shoulder. I've settled on a 300 BO Ruger Ranch as my weapon of choice. My question is about load specs for 110gr GMX and 120 gr. GMX and Barnes and 150 - 168 gr. Barnes. All my shots are under 150 yds. I'm looking for a starting load for any or all of these bullets. I want to stick with what I have as I load for .308 and 300 Wby. and have a good supply of all of them. Thanks in advance, John
Never pass up the opportunity to learn something!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Load Question

Post by dellet »

I don't load any of those bullets, but working up loads is pretty basic.

I would use H110/296 or 300MP for the light bullets and 1680 or Shooters World for the heavier ones.

Determine max length and fill for all bullets.

Using H110/296/300MP back off 1/2-1 grain of powder for starting load. I generally start with a fired case and the bullet just touching the powder as my starting load with anything up to 125 grains. I find best accuracy around 95-100% density.

Basically the same for the heavy bullets and 1680, but lightly compress the powder. Generally in that weight class I shoot 105-110 % density.

The problem with your chosen bullets is they are all long for weight class being solid copper so they rob valuable case capacity and velocity. In the distances you stated it's not too big of deal, but with other bullets you could probably pick up 100 fps +. For my bolt actions I use AI style magazines so am not limited to 2.260". It really helps.

Look forward to some piggy pics when you get it sorted out.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Of the bullets you posted only the 110GMX is made for the blk out. I mention this because you need know most bullets have a min exp threashold of 1800 fps. So use in the BO is limited for proper bullet preformance.

Hornady also makes a 135 FTX designed for the BO. Speer offers a excellent 150 GD if ya want weight.

Barnes has there 110 Blk Tips.

As Dellet tells ya everything needed for lodingbthe BO can be done with the twins 296/H110 <125 and 1680 > 150g

I have been really liking 300 MP too!!

Just FYI, The issues you have with the Creed are BULLET NOT CARTRIDGE. CHOOSE A PROPER bullet and the creed is as good as any!! For instance if I had to use a creed on hogs as you stress under 150... look at the awesome 160 RN. Its got SD numbers to shoot threw YARDS of hogs. And YES it will expand too. Its like the irons in your golf bag. 9 SUKS for drivin...

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

Thanks for the loading info. I say I have been reloading for years but have never jumped off into load development. I select a caliber that will do what I need it to and I take a known load and fine tune it for my guns and pretty much keep it the same. I'm in the peoples republic of california so loading my own is becoming a necessity rather than a hobby anymore. Another thing is I'm not a hunter in the true sense of the word. We have a small ranch due East of san jose and West of Patterson. I shoot to remove problems and to eat the meat. I'm a shooter of opportunity. I see it, I shoot it, I eat it. Piggy pictures? I have tons of them! I can post some after I get that part figured out.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Load development can be a complete hobby in itself and be very consuming. A lot of research, trial and error. There are so many .308 bullets that you could probably spend 10 years developing loads if you wanted.

CW touched on something worth expanding on, minimum velocity for expansion. For this cartridge if you want reliable expansion a lot of things come into play. Bullet length is one, design or BC is another.

168 grains and 2000 fps is not a problem, but the bullet needs to be short enough to fit the magazine and bore then have room for enough powder to get going that fast. The flip side is that even around 1950 fps, most 168 grain bullets will still expand properly within 100 yards, so you can often get a 125-150 yard effective range. You just need to work the ballistics.

It really is a fun cartridge, not too many that have a 2000 fps operating window with a 200 grain difference in bullet choice.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Great Red!

Well as you can read, Dellet has buku knowledge and is willing to share! There are a small bunch of other reloaders here abouts so together we can probably answer any question your likely to have esp if its 300 specific!

Have fun!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

I have a great starting point. I'll make a trip to my nearest store, 4 hour round trip, and snag some new components. Seeing as how I'm stuck with copper and happy with Barnes and Hornady, I'll see what they have available.
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

I have decided to start out with the GMX 110 gr. and the Barnes BT 110 gr. and H110 powder. The only issue now is that knee jerk Newsome (Ca. Governor) has pretty much put a halt to getting reloading supplies that are not in stock somewhere. I managed a 1# H110 from a podunk gun store for $39.95 I think it's the last one in the state. Now my new rifle was hung up for a couple weeks awaiting Ca. sales approval. It should be shipped maybe in a week or so! Then the customary 10 waiting period,,,,

Side note, I tried to order a new ATN scope from Amazon and they won't ship into Ca. either! Of course none of the Gun Stores can get them either!!!!!
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

As one can come to expect here, experienced help is always available. I read these posts knowing my hunting with the BLK has been limited to ground squirrels and steel plates. Expansion is obviously not a topic that demonstrates my life long addition to load work, but I sure pay attention when Dellet and others share their personal data experience.
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

I didn't want everyone to think I was a hit and run. The rifle I ordered a zillion years ago finally came in today. It will be another 10 days to infinity on when it will clear the california gun hater dept. Meanwhile I have sorted out a couple hundred acceptable .223-5.56 cases and have cut and formed about 100 so far. I have a box of components, powder and some more GMX and some Barnes Black tip due to arrive on Friday. I'll probably load up a light assortment over the next week or so. Stay tuned,,,,,,

BTW, If it's possible to post pictures, How do you do it?