Handloads for Sig Rattler

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Sincerd

Re: Handloads for Sig Rattler

Post by Sincerd »

Nice. Next time I go, I'll report if I was able to get my n110 rounds to cycle.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Just wanted to add that I’ve chrono’d another 30 rounds in the same set, and the standard deviation actually dropped from 14 to 10. Really happy with this load, gents.

It may be safer to load to 10.7 instead of 10.8 grains though. I haven’t broken the sound barrier yet but a few of them have been between 1100 and 1110. That’s riiiiight up there. Which is of course what my goal was, to get right up to the sound barrier without breaking it, but this is pretty damn close haha.
Sincerd

Post by Sincerd »

Just because it doesn't have a crack, I guess it was proven the air moving out of the way of the bullets path can move faster than the speed of sounds with subsonics and be much louder without a crack.

Anyway what else ya try? Been on a kick trying to get our 6.75 virtus to cycle. Got just about every powder. Ill post a few loads when I get time to go to the range.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

That’s interesting, I hadn’t heard of that being a factor before. I can tell you that that’s not the case with my current load, it’s definitely hearing safe.

So far I’ve only tried the CFE BLK and the H110, I am curious about the n110, my concern with it though is, looking at currently available data, it looks like it doesn’t take as much powder to get the bullet moving up to speed, and I’m inclined to think I’d run into the same issue I had with my first load with 200gr bullets and H110 having too much empty space for the powder to move around in the case and cause inconsistency between shots. I know you can seat the bullet deeper, but I’m not sure how deep you can safely go. My current load is already 0.1” deeper than available data suggests. Some of you guys might know better about that aspect than me though.
Sincerd

Post by Sincerd »

normally setting deeper increases velocity. Unless your crushing the powder, shouldnt be an issue. Ive loaded coal 1.90 before and they ran fine. Just need to make sure your not seating into the olive. N110 is the quietest powder ive found
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Hey folks, been a minute. I FINALLY got a chance to work up a load with N110 and test it.

I used the same brass, primers, and bullets as my H110 load, but I used 9.8gr of N110 and seated to a COAL of 2.21.

You guys were totally right about N110, it’s completely hearing safe, not nearly as blasty as the H110. It cycles both suppressed and unsuppressed. It does NOT lock my Rattler’s bolt back unsuppressed, and it seems to be a 50/50 shot whether it’ll lock back suppressed. Not sure what to do about that, I don’t want to increase pressures any further because the velocity is right where I want it. Not a huge deal for me though, I’m thinking I’ll probably still use H110 for the “business” loads, if you will, or I might work up a super load with N110 later. In fact, I think I might try that next weekend.

But I digress. Again, refer to my last H110 load for cases, primers, bullets, but with 9.8gr of N110 and a COAL of 2.21, I was getting between 1030-1060fps, with a three inch group at 50 yards with no signs of instability. STD DEV was 13~

Cheers, folks, stay safe.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

jakeAMP wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 pm Hey folks, been a minute. I FINALLY got a chance to work up a load with N110 and test it.

I used the same brass, primers, and bullets as my H110 load, but I used 9.8gr of N110 and seated to a COAL of 2.21.

You guys were totally right about N110, it’s completely hearing safe, not nearly as blasty as the H110. It cycles both suppressed and unsuppressed. It does NOT lock my Rattler’s bolt back unsuppressed, and it seems to be a 50/50 shot whether it’ll lock back suppressed. Not sure what to do about that, I don’t want to increase pressures any further because the velocity is right where I want it. Not a huge deal for me though, I’m thinking I’ll probably still use H110 for the “business” loads, if you will, or I might work up a super load with N110 later. In fact, I think I might try that next weekend.

But I digress. Again, refer to my last H110 load for cases, primers, bullets, but with 9.8gr of N110 and a COAL of 2.21, I was getting between 1030-1060fps, with a three inch group at 50 yards with no signs of instability. STD DEV was 13~

If you have room move the bullet out .020”
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

dellet wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:30 pm
jakeAMP wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 pm Hey folks, been a minute. I FINALLY got a chance to work up a load with N110 and test it.

If you have room move the bullet out .020”
I backed them out to a COAL of 2.23, no notable changes.
madmosche

Post by madmosche »

Thanks for all the info in this thread! I'm just starting to reload 190- and 194-grain subs for my 8.5" barrel 300 BLK AR-15 and this data is very helpful. I started with 8.3 grains of H110 but now I'm wondering if that might be a little too low. Going to chrono them tomorrow.
jakeAMP

Post by jakeAMP »

Happy to help! Remember all the data I’ve posted is based on a 5.5” barrel, but you should at least have a solid starting point to work from. Good luck!