168 grain speer gold dot

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

onekwiklx

168 grain speer gold dot

Post by onekwiklx »

Hi all and thanks for having me. Not new to reloading and this forum has a wealth of knowledge. I have some 168 grain speer gold dots that I'm looking to shoot out of my 7.5" pistol ar. I plan on using Lil Gun but can't find a safe starting load for this bullet. All the info I find on the net varies greatly. I contacted speer and they said the 168 will not work but I'm using some hand loads a buddy made and they chamber fine and cycle with out issue. Brass I'm using is mixed head stamp .223 cut and formed to 300 blk out with a trim length of 1.358 and using CCI 400 SRP. I would like to know if 14.7 grains would be a good start. The current hand load my buddy made was 16 grains of H-110 and a coal 2.230. TIA
fancygunz

Re: 168 grain speer gold dot

Post by fancygunz »

I think Speer said it won't work due to the velocity required for expansion being too high. They make a specific 300 blackout version of the 150 grain that expands at lower velocities. If you don't care about expansion the 168 should shoot OK. Sorry, I don't have specific load data for you, I just wanted to point out why I think Speer said it wouldn't work.
onekwiklx

Post by onekwiklx »

Thanks for your insight on this. Yes I'm just punching paper for right now. I'm shooting 168 grn load using h110 my buddy made they work great. They chronograph at 1680 fps.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Buy some A1680. Load to slight compression at mag length. I think you will be pleased.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Rebel said what I was thinking. Despite all the fuss about 1680 being 'loud' for subsonic loads ( I disagree ), it really has no equal with many bullet weights. Many of the finest loads through my rifle and pistol start with 1680. That stuff seems to thrive on some compression. He's right, you need some :)
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

1680 is also great for 7mm TCU loads using 150g bullets.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Almost every manufacturer out there has data for 165-168 grain bullets and LIlgun, including Speer. The problem is the variation of bullet shape and length. Since Speer left that bullet out of their data, it might be for good reason.

If you look at available data max load for Lilgun and that weight bullet is any where from 15-19 grains. I’m not sure I would start at 14.7.

1680 on the other hand is pretty simple to work with. Find max length that will fit the chamber or magazine.

Find the max powder charge that will fit under the bullet at that length.

Back off about 1.5 grains and work back up to max velocity and best accuracy.

Lilgun will give you spikes toward the top that are hard to predict.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.