A1680 and 230gn HPBT SMK issue!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: A1680 and 230gn HPBT SMK issue!

Post by wildfowler »

dellet wrote:
Yes, here’s the bullet sitting on the bottom of the case next to a loaded 110 Nosler. Measures 2.050”. Not much left for powder at magazine length.

Dang that’s long.

Looks Like that bullet would fall into my personal category of “less than ideal for use in blackout“?

Can you do anything with that in your bolt action or is it still too long?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

wildfowler wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:45 pm
dellet wrote:
Yes, here’s the bullet sitting on the bottom of the case next to a loaded 110 Nosler. Measures 2.050”. Not much left for powder at magazine length.
Dang that’s long.

Looks Like that bullet would fall into my personal category of “less than ideal for use in blackout“?

Can you do anything with that in your bolt action or is it still too long?
I have loaded as a single shot, but haven’t fooled with it much. 1500 fps is possible. I can load that in my bolt action that uses AI magazines, COL is a slight jam at 2.585”.

At 2.260” the best I have done is around 900 fps using Accurate #5. 7 grains of 296 is about all I can get under the bullet.

The 230’s either the Sierra or Hornady ATip are at least .100” shorter so that will get a grain of powder so better potential for use in the Blackout.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
luigi

Post by luigi »

Here is email response from Duane at Sierra Bullets: ( I told him that I don't think anyone can load that bullet with 14.5 gn A1680 ! I requested what brand dies and "special seating modifications" are needed to use their "standard" loading data! Duane's last email said they are simply stating what "other people" have done. He said when he had time he would attempt to load this bullet with A1680 powder and THEIR DATA and let me know what he gets! I will let you know what he comes back with! )

Sierra via sierrabullets.onmicrosoft.com
9:20 AM (5 minutes ago)
to me

Louis, we have loaded the 14.5 grains. Yes, it is compressed. Many have found that they need to have the seating stem lapped to match the ogive on these VLD style bullets to help minimize the deformation you are experiencing. I understand your concern. We also occasionally see issues with certain lots/brands of cases having more or less capacity which effects load data also.

Duane Siercks

Ballistic Technician Lead
1400 W. Henry St. Sedalia, MO 65301

Questions? Call us toll free 800-223-8799 x521

Check out my latest blog post at sierrabullets.wordpress.com.
Woollymonster

Post by Woollymonster »

I think you may have too change bullets and dies. My go to subsonic load is 220 SMK and 11.8 grains of 1680. No problem seating those to mag length without any bullet deformation.

I am using Forster Competition FL sizer and Seater dies, Co Ax press.

I shoot these out of my Sig MCX with 9" barrel, suppressed. I put 10 shots past my Lab Radar this week and got an average of 1060 fps and SD of 14. Not too bad. Very accurate as well.
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

As a reference, I use the 240 SMKs a lot on my AR, but the 240 is actually shorter than the 230 (1.59 vs 1.71") . I also use the Hornady 225 ELD-M/220 ELD-X which are also fairly long at 1.65/1.63") - No problems at all using VV N120 which is fairly close to A1680 abeit, more cleaner and quieter.

For the 240 SMK
10.4 gr VV N120 - 2.222" COAL 995 FPS SD 10 - This is actually a 100% fill rate.

For the 230 SMK with A1680 at 2.240 COAL.
With 1680 I'd start at 11.7 (100% fill rate) and work down 10.7 (92%) this should get you within the 1100 - 960 FPS range with a 10" barrel. I mean 1680 will cycle and BHO even at 900 FPS with the heavies it's so overgassed, no point trying to compress 14.5 grains.

For seating long VLDs, I've had good luck with the Forster Bench Rest seating die, think I bought it back at least 9 years ago when Noveske were just transitioning from making 300 Whisper barrels to 300 BLK. Loaded 10 of thousands of long heavy VLDs, never had an issue, even with LeHigh 174 and 194s.

That being said, those A-Tips are insane, love to try them in subsonic 308W with Tinstar, on a 1:8 twist barrel, I bet they tumble and make a huge cavity. Not sure I could load those without the hornady seating stems.
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

Did you try different brass? You might be able to find some with a greater capacity. Brass can vary quite a bit.

I have a Lee Hand Press. I was thinking you might be able to get more capacity by seating the bullet upside down. The powder can move to the outside. Just a thought. Would be a PIA.
luigi

Post by luigi »

dellet wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:26 am Sadly, this will be a bullet issue. I am having the same problem with the Hornady ATip bullets. This new Sierra bullet will be about the same.

There are multiple issues.

First the data is hopeful at best, garbage at worst. With 11 grains 1680 in the case you have to push the bullet into the powder about .110”. That’s a a big displacement of powder.

The bullet design does not lend itself to rough handling. The best jackets for accuracy are the thinnest. They are more consistent but also the most fragile. Even too tight of a neck while seating will leave a mark and compromise the jacket.

These are best seated with a dedicated seating stem. I have tried 4 different stems for the Hornady. If I continue to use them I will buy the stem Hornady designed specifically for this bullet.

Unfortunately I think Sierra pulled this data off the computer. With the right seater, you might get 11.5-12 grains. I call bullshit on 14 at 2.2anything

Sorry Luigi, I think a powder change is the best option.

For what it’s worth the 250 A Tip is 1.875”. Trying to get enough powder under that has proven almost impossible to stay under 2.260”.
dellet,

After several emails to Sierra they are ignoring me. I just wanted them to admit they screwed up and change their published load data for that bullet!
I guess if you are a successful and business is good you can ignore your customers?