Weight ranges for powders

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Sincerd

Weight ranges for powders

Post by Sincerd »

Has anyone created a good list of powder characteristics and weight ranges for 300blk?

I've got 1680, n110 and n120 on the way and have an 8 of trail boss and h110. Trying to order some bullets and I've went through alot of the data. Been digging though the archives for the past week. Just because it CAN be used dosent mean it's the best option. I'm surprised no one has listed powders and what they excel at and where they fall short.

I understand 1680 is dirty but should cycle suppressed anything and pistol gas systems.

N110 I've seen is clean. Good for light supers and 220+ grain subs. Any other characteristics?

N120 for subs? Issues fitting enough powder in to the case. Not great velocity for supers.

H110 can use for subs and supers but should not be loaded under min because of chamber pressure ( no lightweight subs )

Trail boss can load light subsonics. What are its downfalls? Can have cycling issues.
Last edited by Sincerd on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
savage308

Re: Weight ranges for powders

Post by savage308 »

Sincerd wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 pm Has anyone created a good list of powder characteristics and weight ranges for 300blk?

I've got 1680, n110 and n120 on the way and have an 8 of trail boss and h110. Trying to order some bullets and I've went through alot of the data. Been digging though the archives for the past week. Just because it CAN be used dosent mean it's the best option. I'm surprised no one has listed powders and what they excel at and where they fall short.

I understand 1680 is dirty but should cycle suppressed anything and pistol gas systems.

N110 I've seen is clean. Any other characteristics?

N120 for subs? Issues fitting enough powder I to case.

H110 can use for subs and supers but should not be loaded under min?

Trail boss can load light subsonics. What are its downfalls?

1680 is one of my favorite powders for subs. all powders I have used in 300 bo have good points and bad. trailboss wont cycle, reddot is quiet for
150 grain subs but wont cycle , but I use them a lot. in my guns mp300 works great for supersonic 110 to 130 grain . some of the best bullets I have used are hornady z max 110 gr. but I have used many different bullets and barnes 110 is the best all around pill. you can usually find a powder and load for almost any of them. that is what I like about 300bo.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

A1680 has another use. Mid weight level super sonics. It compresses well and burns fairly clean when applied this way. My go to powder for 150 gr. Gold Dots.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sincerd

Post by Sincerd »

For light bullets, 150 and under

Hodgdon/Winchester H110/296

Allianz MP 300

Vihtavouri N110

Accurate 11 FS

Bullets over 150 grains

CFE BLK

Reloaded 7

Accurate 1680

Accurate 11FS

Vihtavouri N120

Lovex D063

Found this post above.

If we can get a good amount of people to post their experiences we can try and combine everything into a powder guide.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I think powder selection is covered......at least I think it was covered in my past reading.

Might not include some of the more recent offers like Socom or CFE Blk......

Heck when I got into 300BO, 300MP was not a common powder to find loading information on......except by experimenters! It was the first powder I could find to load 300BO with as there was a powder squeeze going on then.