Changing col increments

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

TRshootem
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:13 am
Location: Montana

Re: Changing col increments

Post by TRshootem » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 pm

I will remark by adding some additional variables, primers. Both 4895's(H & IMR), in my tests and those of other shooters, seem to like either the WLR or FC 210M. Both of these are similar in results over the years. A magnum primer may be the wrong variable at the charge you are using. A good practice for the .308 is to know the weight of the naked brass(clean & no primer). I use brass that weighs at or near 180+ grs for something like subs or mild loads. OAL samples with the 110 gr Barnes TSX FB have been at 2.680-90 in new WIN brass sorted to 159 gr ( + or - 2 grs) on top of H4895 for a sweet load. That brass is lighter than FC and others, the powder charge at a comfortable 47.5.

All that to illustrate the other variables before I consider tweaking OAL for the sweet spot.

BulletFlight for Android
User avatar
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Changing col increments

Post by bangbangping » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:28 am

wildfowler wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:01 pm
I have noticed that it does not take a huge difference between the maximum length I started with and the ideal length I discovered through testing.
We had a guy here a few years back who proved mathematically that the best load would ALWAYS be found within .016" of max length. Of course he couldn't define max length, and it took him over half a year to produce a MOA load which, upon examination, wasn't exactly MOA. :lol:

Roachclass
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:14 am

Re: Changing col increments

Post by Roachclass » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:04 pm

It feels like it takes a year sometimes when you get a stubborn one lol I've always gotten my best loads in 308win using Varget or BLC-2 with Br2 primers. I've never used this IMR4895 with any real success on anything but 22-250. Probably going to shitcan the whole thing soon, I have some 150gr sierra GK that I'd rather play with in my bolt action. They are so much easier to do. I just measure .015 off the Lans and I've rarely had to screw with col after that.

User avatar
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 am
Location: Mis'sippi

Re: Changing col increments

Post by wildfowler » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:47 am

bangbangping wrote: We had a guy here a few years back who proved mathematically that the best load would ALWAYS be found within .016" of max length. Of course he couldn't define max length, and it took him over half a year to produce a MOA load which, upon examination, wasn't exactly MOA. :lol:
Wasn’t me. I promise. :lol: :lol:
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

User avatar
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Changing col increments

Post by bangbangping » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:14 pm

wildfowler wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:47 am
bangbangping wrote: We had a guy here a few years back who proved mathematically that the best load would ALWAYS be found within .016" of max length. Of course he couldn't define max length, and it took him over half a year to produce a MOA load which, upon examination, wasn't exactly MOA. :lol:
Wasn’t me. I promise. :lol: :lol:
No, not you.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=99936
Enjoy. :roll:

Roachclass
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:14 am

Re: Changing col increments

Post by Roachclass » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:58 pm

I got lucky on the subs. First round of trials made 3 loads, the middle load cut holes at 50yrds and cycled the rifle. I'm happy with that for playing around. It doesn't always lock the bolt back on last round but I don't really care, it's nothing serious

User avatar
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 am
Location: Mis'sippi

Re: Changing col increments

Post by wildfowler » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:08 pm

bangbangping wrote: No, not you.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=99936
Enjoy. :roll:

I know I’ve not been very active here lately and I cannot believe I missed that.

Least he used paragraphs.

Yikes!!
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Post Reply