FTF is primed brass from American Marksman

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dieselherb

FTF is primed brass from American Marksman

Post by dieselherb »

I have bought primed brass from American Marksman. I am have trouble with FTF. Thought it was the gun but tried another same thing, tried other reloads( not mine) some fired some didn't. Bought some new ammo, fired fine. There is 2-3 crimps in most of the cases around the primer. Tried new firing pin, nope. Ordered a extra strong hammer spring, maybe it will help?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: FTF is primed brass from American Marksman

Post by Sig220 »

What caliber?

A member on another board bought .308 primed brass (LC) and upon trying it has 1 in 5 misfires and in his opinion its due to very hard primers. He was using a Remington bolt gun in the range session if I remember correctly.

Got to remember the rounds were pulled down for a reason......
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Post by Smurky »

Do the primers look like they’re seated properly? If primers aren’t fully seated the result can be FTF. Are there good dimples on the primers? Are you able to measure the case? it’s not unusual for cases to be undersized as a result are too short and case head is not reasonably tight against the bolt face so the firing pin is unable to hit the primer with enough force. That’s a few of the reasons I can think of the would result in FTF.
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

I will measure the cases. I loaded a few more, making the AOL longer 6 fired 1 didn't. I'm loading 230 grain which is easy to get to Lee Recommended length 2.26( mine are 2.15) now. But I have 115 grain that they listed min. OAL 2.05. That won't work, bullet is tiny?
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Smurky wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 am Do the primers look like they’re seated properly? If primers aren’t fully seated the result can be FTF. Are there good dimples on the primers? Are you able to measure the case? it’s not unusual for cases to be undersized as a result are too short and case head is not reasonably tight against the bolt face so the firing pin is unable to hit the primer with enough force. That’s a few of the reasons I can think of the would result in FTF.
I'm also thinking headspace. Quite a bit of "processed" brass has the shoulder bumped back too much, the case goes too far into the chamber and there is a light strike.

To the OP:
Start with a Hornady Comparator and a goos set of cllipers. If you are going to reload, you will need them from now on. Get a headspace reading from a fired factory round and measure the headspace. The caliper will not give the exact headspace measurement but it will give you a relative measurement that you can use to compare the brass that you size. For a semi-auto, you should be bumping the shoulder back .003"-.004" from the original fired case measurement.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

Supposingly this cases are new never fired .556
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

How about some relative information on your reloads. You are not shooting 230gr bullets in a 5.56 case.
Start with what caliber. You never answered that.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

.556 cases cut to 300 blkout by American Marksman and primed
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Check neck thickness. .014" or thicker will be a problem.
Compare the head stamp(s) with the list in the stickie in the reloading thread.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

I moved the bullet more out of the casing to 2.15 OAL that seems to have fixed the problem. 20 loaded 20 fired!