The importance of headspace.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: The importance of headspace.

Post by dellet »

excess650 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:44 pm That appears to be a 45 pattern Stevens 44-1/2 with about 30" of barrel. Lots of folks would ask why you don't rechamber for 22LR without knowing there is a difference in barrel twist rate from S to LR.

You could find another original barrel to fit and likely reline, or send it off to CPA Rifles and have another new barrel made with a match chamber.
28" 1/25 twist, #3 Swiss and DST for upgrades. The standard Vernier rear so adjustment is a pain. I'm looking for a scope, but the way it's drilled I need about a 30" straight tube. I hesitate to drill more holes.

Groups have improved some with sorting and trigger time. I made a gauge to check base to ogive and it helps.

The high flyer was all me, 50 yards. 3" dot, 1.5" center ring, irons.

I wish you could still get match ammo in 22 short. :cry:

A new barrel is an option, but...
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Quality ammo really helps.

Here's 5 from a cold clean bore at 50 with an MVA Schuetzen and globe. Low mark was first round

I shot 1, 5 round group a day for five days with Lapua Midas X. This has days 1-3. Note the cold bore flyer each day.

By day five, the cold flyer was basically gone.

Here's the target smoothed out from behind. 5, 5 shot groups on 5 different days with irons at 50 yards. The big hole is 20 shots

Then I put the scope back on and took it out to 100 for 10 shots.

CPA builds a very nice rifle.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

I shot a CPA based BPCR for years. At one time I had 3 CPA actions, with at least 2 barrels each. I never had a scope on any of mine, but the new owner of 2 of those rifles has scopes on them.

Your old 44-1/2 seems to have a short forend. Was the barrel set back?
Black Rifles Matter
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Not set back as far as I can tell. It is a single screw, so it is the shorter version. I think the long barrel and thin stock distort the look.

This might give a better idea of scale. Same scope on another 28" barrel, it dwarfs the rifle. The same style stock and fore end. The CPA rifles are big in comparison

excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

What caliber is that 44 ? 28-30 ? 25-25 ?

Yeah, the big Unertl looks out of place.

I HAD an early, square cornered 47 pattern 44 with Pope Barrel, false muzzle, and bullet starter. It was a 38-55 and I was afraid to shoot it, so it went to a collector.

Speaking of big rifles and small calibers, I have a Wurfflein with 28" barrel in 32cal. 32 S&W SHORT! :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That would be 28-30. Loading for that one is my argument against if neck tension matters :P

This is probably why it never thought the Blackout was under powered. :shock: