Newb First Load: Suggestions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Uncle Fester

Newb First Load: Suggestions

Post by Uncle Fester »

I have all the equipment I think I need to begin loading 300 BO using a Hornady LnL single stage press with the exception of a case trimmer. That should be arriving shortly.

I have ended up with 600 150 grain Hornady Interlock bullets coming as a rebate and have about 50 pieces of same plus factory brass in hand. I also have a stash of 5.56mm brass that I will eventually start making it into 300 BO.

In terms of powder, I managed to track down 1 jug of Winchester 296 + 1 jug of CFE BLK plus CCI small rifle primers.

Simply put, I want to start smart and safe. Thoughts on a proven load that I should start with would be greatly appreciated.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Newb First Load: Suggestions

Post by Sig220 »

Hopefully you have something to measure your OAL of the loaded cartridge????

Then go to Hodgdon's online database: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

There you will find the length (OAL) needs to be 2.235. If you shorten the OAL you increase pressures....don't want to do that do we?

Suggested starting load is 14.6gns of 296 giving app. 1725 fps and maxing out at 17.2gns at 1971 fps.

Note they are using magnum primers and the length of the unloaded brass they used. They also give you the twist rate used and barrel length.

It all matters in the long run.

Have fun, be safe and shoot straight!
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Thank you for the reminder on OAL. I invested in good calipers and headspace gauges.

Since I am just looking to (a) learn reloading and (b) punch paper at under 100 yards, I want to be very conservative in what I do. There is no need to push thunks.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Hello UF,

I have had a accuracy load with this bullets in a couple
Of my 300’s for a long time!

296 is my fav powder in the 300. But I never used it much with heavier than 125g bullets.

Check your manuals or search manufacturers data online and you will get a place to start.

My load was with 4227 powder and resulted in consistent nearly 1/2 moa 5 or more groups @ 100.

I have re invented my RARR bolt and find many loads shooting extreamly well now. Fun time abead ALL OVER AGAIN!!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

my load for the 150 gr. Hornady S.P. is 17.7 grs. of W-296/H-110. I crimp them on the canelure. they chrono around 2000 fps out of a 16" barrel.
peace through superior firepower
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

First thing to learn is being exact in everything you do.

This includes looking or asking for data. Hornady makes 8 or 10,150 grain bullets. At least three of those are Interlocks. Which one you have just might make a difference.

What type of rifle and barrel length you are shooting can make a difference in the type of advice you may need.

With this cartridge it’s also good to let it be known if it s a sub or super load you are looking for.

Plenty of things can go wrong without some of that very basic information.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet nails it.. which 150gr interlock do you have? the what is important.

there's the 150gr RN interlock (#3035) that has a OAL of 1.900

theres the 150gr BTSP interlock (#3033) that has an OAL of 2.106

there also the 150gr SP interlock (#3031) that OAL's at 2.106

at those OAL's, hornady 10th edition recommends 12.7gr start and 16.0gr max of w296.

but dont take my word for it. i'm just a guy online who could be completely wrong, or even typo'ed. i highly suggest you purchase one of those manuals - the hornady books have the largest published dataset available for 300 blackout - and since you're using their bullets, for now anyway, its probably wise to use their data and have a copy you can reference for future needs.

i promise, its $30 well spent
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018192916?pid=235643
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.