Black powder loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jammitchell84

Black powder loads

Post by jammitchell84 »

Dellet, Domolite has stated that you have worked on some loads using BP. Can you share some of that experience? I understand that BP is corrosive and acts much different than smokeless however I am still interested
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Black powder loads

Post by dellet »

It was kind of an experiment of being the ultimate prepper. Could you make your own powder have a functioning AR? So I tried commercial powder to see If it was at least possible. The answer was yes :mrgreen:

24 grains by weight of FFFg Goex was full function in a 8” pistol gassed AR. That was suppressed. It actually suppressed very well.

Not something I would recommend, but it was kind of fun to see it work.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jammitchell84

Post by jammitchell84 »

That's exactly my pursuit. Crud BP is easy to make and stores easily. Other than dirty as hell, what were other issues? Mine is 9.5" pistol suppressed. Also, how fine is FFFg? What type velocity and bullet weight?
jammitchell84

Post by jammitchell84 »

Also mean to ask a about which primers you used, are SRP hot enough or does it need magnum?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I generally use magnum primers, generally black powder loads are pretty dense and compressed.

For the above load I used a 125 SST with about .025” compression on the powder. Velocity was in the 1350 range.

3F is a pretty fine powder, very consistent. Basically the more F’s the finer the powder, and in general the cleaner it burns.

I have only seen a few people that made powder worth using, not that it cant be done, just more difficult than it seems to get it mixed right.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.