113 and 230 grain bullet, how much powder?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dieselherb

113 and 230 grain bullet, how much powder?

Post by dieselherb »

I'm loading 113 and 230 grain bullets I have H1 can powder for the 113 and CFE black for the 230 subsonic how much powder should I use for each
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: 113 and 230 grain bullet, how much powder?

Post by wildfowler »

Did you mean H110 powder?

Can you give more information? What exact bullet are you using? And what kind of rifle/barrel length?

I’ve never used CFE Black so I can’t comment. I do use H110 but with 125 grain bullets.

For my AR, I use 19.0 grains and even higher for my bolt action. My bolt action load is not safe for use in an AR and I’m not going to disclose that powder charge.

Hope this is helpful?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

Bullets are cast. 16" and 10.5" barrels
Spike

Post by Spike »

You can start here for both of those powders.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

dieselherb wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 am Bullets are cast. 16" and 10.5" barrels
Better disregard what I said because I don’t know if you can use that much powder with a cast bullet even though it weighs a little bit less than what I’m using.

I’m sorry. I definitely cannot help with that.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

In order to get useful answers to your question, you need to post details like exactly which bullet, primer choice, and how deep you are seating the bullet. If we answer the question without those details, the answers we give vary from unhelpful to dangerous.

In the case of cast bullets, we really also need to know what alloy and hardness to give you usable range. Since you didn't know to ask those things with that info, it seems likely that you are very new to reloading.

Aside from general reloading safety matters, here are some examples of why we need even more info for cast bullets.
If it is the lee 230 it is probably closer to 220 grains in weight if you actually weigh the sucker. If it works for you at all, it is probably going to work better with IMR 4227 than CFE BLK. I use 9.5 grains at the moment, but that's with MY gun. My seating depth is ~ magazine length and crimping into the crimp groove. However due to variations in guns and variations in the molds, some people find that this bullet won't stabilize at all. Many find that the bullet runs into the lands prematurely, so they have to seat it deeper in the case. Alloy is heat treated linotype for me. BHN in the range of 22-26. Thats using WSR primer. I have had two of this mold. The first one had the overly fat nose profile problem, and I couldn't get them to stabilize. The second one works great, in the same guns. YMMV.

What are your 113 grain bullets? If they are 30 carbine bullets, they will probably be tricky to get to feed right. Also, it is easy to have the ogive of them mimic the profile of the shoulder on a .223, which is part of why so many people have inadvertently converted their ARs to grenades. The same mimic problem is true for the 147 grain 308 bullet used in military 7.62x51 ammo.

If they are light bullets designed for 300 BO, CFEBLK and H110 can both work well, and CFEBLK is known to behave inconsistently for uncompressed loads. I like it, but many here don't.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GunFunZS brings up a very good point about variables with cast bullets.

I have this perverse habit of breaking bullets and this thread goes into what he is talking about.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=102326

And here is a bullet that was pushed to hard.

Image.

With cast bullets CFE can be a very good choice, low pressure, low velocity.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.