Fiocchi 125 sst blue tip

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Fiocchi 125 sst blue tip

Post by bearcatrp »

Emailed both fiocchi and hornady about the blue tip. Not on hornadys web site as the blue tip, only red tip. Fiocchi tells me the blue tip is made special for them for 300BO velocities but wouldn't give me any ballistics info. Looking at different get tests, the 125 blue tip looks pretty good. Allot of positive reviews. Just can't find any info on the difference and no one sells the blue tip 125 sst. Anyone know?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fiocchi 125 sst blue tip

Post by plant.one »

hornady has produced multiple tip colors over the years - think the zombie max bullets, the "purple tip" sold by graffs etc.

the 17hmr vmax bullets are a great example... they produced those in like 3 or 4 tip colors depending on who's private label was going on the package (red for theirs, dark grey/black for remington, and silver-ish for winchester, etc..) the best gimmick on that was that CCI was making all of them and just switching tip colors and headstamps and labels as they produced them for the first number of years.

so while i cant confirm (or deny) that fiocchi doesnt have a private color tip going - it wouldnt be unheard of if someone were willing to purchase them in large enough quantities.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Blue dye makes them work so much better :shock: :roll:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Looking at the gel tests that I have found, looks pretty dam good. Cannot find any gel tests of the red tips for 300BO. Was considering the speer 150 gr for my bolt action howa but now planning on going with the Fiocchi 125 SST. One less rifle to reload for. But would be nice to reload for it.
Rebel, I expected a better answer from you.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

bearcatrp wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 pm Looking at the gel tests that I have found, looks pretty dam good. Cannot find any gel tests of the red tips for 300BO.
I think what everyone here's been trying to say is they're the exact same bullet with different colored tips. Hornady isn't going to develop a Blackout-optimized 125 SST just for Fiocchi.

Anyway, here are a couple of red tip gel tests:
SST @ 1900 fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrL72tsuAJc
Another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScCMH__DlZI
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Fiocchi emailed me that the 125 sst blue tip was developed for them for 300BO velocities but would not give me any ballistics data. Have not heared back from Hornady asking the same question on the difference between the red and blue tip 125 sst. Have seen that 1st video but not the second.
This is the Fiocchi test that I liked on the blue tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZw2g1Q9G0
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bearcatrp wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 pm Looking at the gel tests that I have found, looks pretty dam good. Cannot find any gel tests of the red tips for 300BO. Was considering the speer 150 gr for my bolt action howa but now planning on going with the Fiocchi 125 SST. One less rifle to reload for. But would be nice to reload for it.
Rebel, I expected a better answer from you.
Then ask an informed , knowledgeable question. As Bang said, it's the same damn bullet. Hornady sells to many different mfg. I have Fiocchi 22 mag at my shop - they say V max and have a grey tip. Big deal, the tip color has nothing to do with anything. You are implying that the blue tip enhances performance over the standard SST, which it doesn't. Is that a better answer? I sure expected a better question from you.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Regular 125 SST expands down to 1600 fps. With a muzzle velocity of 2200, pretty average for a 16” barrel, it’s effective range is about 250 yards.

How much more in the Blackout operating range is the Fiocchi version?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Check out this article.: https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015 ... allistics/

I compared this to the video I provided in my other post above. This is why I am asking about blue tip vs red tip. According to the article, the red tip doesn't expand vs the gel test with the blue tip with good expansion. Would be great if both are the same so I can reload these. Come spring I will try both and see what happens on some wet phone books or water jugs.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I am beginning to understand your confusion. I have my doubts about his test parameters as so many, including myself have had such dramatically different results. He doensn't state the distance he was from the gel and at pistol barrel velocities say at 50 yards, He would still have some velocity drop. Not sure if it would be enough for the SST to fail, as it did in that test. Basically, you can trust that guys tests or the thousands of rounds that have been shot at game from our members. My point is, no matter the color, the tip is more for aerodynamics than expansion. It's the make up of the bullet and the interlock that gives it expansion and then weight retention.
My personal experience on big game is a 130 lb (or so ) buck at 98 ( laser ranged ) yards. I carefully chose a high shoulder shot where his neck meets the shoulder. He was quartered toward me slightly. The deer slid to a halt 30 yards from where I hit him. Lungs were gone, aorta blown away and I recovered the bullet under the offside hide. Perfect expansion. This was done with a 16 inch barreled Olympic, 18.1 gr. of 296 and a 125 SST. MV probably around 2100-2200 fps. I'll try and remember to edit this and post a picture of the recovered bullet tonight.
Don't believe everything you read.
edit- I don't see the blue tip comparison in that article either.