Chrono Opinions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Chrono Opinions

Post by bangbangping »

gomeybear wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 pm Just for some knowledge here, the competition series of chronos and others for that matter, you have to shoot through v shaped uprights, correct? They use distortion of light to measure velocity it sounds like?
Correct. And if you forget that the bullet starts out below the sight line, they don't last long. :P
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

gomeybear wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 pm Just for some knowledge here, the competition series of chronos and others for that matter, you have to shoot through v shaped uprights, correct? They use distortion of light to measure velocity it sounds like?
Yes, bullet has to pass completely over the unit. Grey days are best, too much light and it may not pick up the shadow of the bullet, not enough light there may not be a shadow. Bad weather such as rain or wind, you need an umbrella and an anchor.

The magneto speed and radar can be used in any conditions.

I often test sub loads at night because there is less background noise, gives a better idea of what the load actually sounds like, how quiet it actually is.

The other draw back to the light based machines is repeat-ability from session to session. Height over machine and angle of travel play with the readings. Calculations are based on time between trigger windows, if the bullet is not parallel to the top of the machine, or at least the same bad angle from session to session, data is off. The flip side of that is that most people who spend less than $200 for a chronograph probably don't need that kind of accuracy. I know I don't.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gomeybear »

I dont have a private place to shoot; so, it would be at a busy range. Is that an issue with Labradar chrono?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Then Lab Radar is a viable option for you.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Cannonsville69

Post by Cannonsville69 »

I have a Magnetospeed V3. All you ever see, hear are the great things about it. It does the job but it has problems too.
First off, it affected my the point of impact while developing 110,130,150gr subs . I set it up per directions and couldn't get a shot on the paper.
No, I was not hitting, skimming the bayo. I use the square rod that comes with it to set it below the bullet path.
It throws your shot off high right or high left. This problem is mitigated by adding more spacers, thus lowering the bayo
further below the bullet path...but you then have to increase sensitivity. It still deflects the bullet but not as much.
Because of this, you have to look at "relative" size of your groups when developing loads. A 1.5" group with bayo on may become
a 1/2" group. Don't ultimately judge groups with the bayo on. See how they group compared to other loads groups.
Secondly, the mounting system is literally like a "beta" stage proof of concept mess. I really cant believe they couldn't come up with
a better/quicker, more stable mounting system for clamping on the bayo . The strap, shims and tightening nut are just a ramshackle mess .
The cords are not a great design. It's just a mess of cords draped around your gun. The rear bayo cord likes to get hung up or pushed into
your sand bag. All that aside, yes it does work well and it rarely gives me errors..and i'm sure they will come out with better mounts in the coming years.
It's great for getting velocities and load ladder info. You don't have to walk anywhere, it's right with you. You just need to really take it off
once you think you have a load in the velocity range you want and that groups relatively well.
nlvmike

Post by nlvmike »

Budget minded, I bought a Chrony Beta. It works about 3/4 of the shots. The interface reminds of Basic programs I wrote in high school in the '70's.

It will get you the data you need, but certainly not reliably or with any style.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

nlvmike wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:41 pm Budget minded, I bought a Chrony Beta. It works about 3/4 of the shots. The interface reminds of Basic programs I wrote in high school in the '70's.

It will get you the data you need, but certainly not reliably or with any style.
Just tossed one that was getting wonky after many years.

You're close. I believe the interface dates to 1987. It's horrible in 2020. Ain't nobody got time for that. :mrgreen:
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Weather sucks, wind, light snow flurries and wind chill....so grandson and I wait til dark, lights off in the basement.

Chrony Beta Master, Caldwell IR light screens and a box of rubber bands. Fastest speed for 5 bands across the the chrony was 63 fps:

Projectile weight: unknown
unit 10" from the 'muzzle'
High 63
Low 55

Who knew rubber bands actually had some varmint potential. Take away from this, IR light screens work well in the dark.

Though the missus may be looking for the projos soon. 8)