What's causing this?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Roachclass

What's causing this?

Post by Roachclass »

Image Image
It happened once and didn't do it again so I thought weird. Rocked on for a few more loading sessions and it did it again, so I cleaned the dies even though they are brand new. I was just reloading and it's done it once for every 5 I load. Hornady custom grade dies and this is brass I formed from some Remington 223. I've loaded quite a bit of ammo and never seen this. Maybe something with the roll crimp feature? Idk...
savage308

Re: What's causing this?

Post by savage308 »

seating die is too far down. raise the die and then you can adjust the seating stem back down to get the O.A.L. you want.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Agreed, your crimp looks heavy to and with the die to far down it may be crimping before the bullet is fully seated which deforms the shoulder.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Roachclass

Post by Roachclass »

Agree. It was the roll crimp part of the die getting into it too much. I backed it off 1/2 of a turn where it for sure disengaged the crimp and ran the rest of them fine. First time using this particular type of Hornady dies or messing with crimps. It is a very fine adjustment between crimp and crap. Like a 1/16th of a turn. Not even sure I need to worry about a crimp, the neck tension is very tight. The expander ball is .305
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I normally don't crimp and rely on neck tension to hold "em. Of course I sanded the expander ball slightly.

And when I do crimp it is only using a separate Lee "factory crimp" die and its very light...just rolling the top edge inward.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

If you are seating and crimping in one operation, stop doing that and do separate steps. In fact, you could get away with not using any crimp at all.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Post by Smurky »

The only time I crimp is when I flare the case for lead and/flat base bullets or if there isn’t enough neck tension to hold the bullet (seldom an issue). I use the Lee factory crimp die and only enough to get the case mouth back to the original diameter.
Roachclass

Post by Roachclass »

Sig220 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:29 pm I normally don't crimp and rely on neck tension to hold "em. Of course I sanded the expander ball slightly.
What did you sand it down too?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

.302 according to my old dial calipers. It still flares at the very top.... but I adjust the expander to keep it tight except for cast and I have to open the case mouths up to keep from shaving 'em. These days, shooting cast is few and far between for me. I mostly stay with supers but in the future.....who knows. There is a box of Sierra 240gr that keeps hiding in my cabinet.
Roachclass

Post by Roachclass »

I may sand and polish mine up a little bit then, maybe to .304? Really don't want to expand brass back out for any reason. I'm about to take my first trip into the subsonic realm. Making a midway order this week for some more gold dots and they have some Berry's plated 220gr for .22¢ a piece. Figured they would be something cool to play around with. Pretty sure I've settled on a super load with the speer and I was loading up one more to try with some FMJ when I started crushing em. I'm excited to try the subs tho. Haven't had subsonic anything to shoot since I got the suppressors.