Concerns with storing W296 in garage Central Texas

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Concerns with storing W296 in garage Central Texas

Post by gomeybear »

Hello Gents,

Just checking in to see if there are any concerns storing W296 in a garage year round in Central Texas? Obviously some large temperature fluctuations here in Texas....A cold snap might get us under 32F twice a year. Been rather mild this year with temps not typically getting below 40F. But they do have a crazy range sometimes - might see 35F in the morning and then 80F during day.

For that matter, is it not good practice keeping my loaded rounds in the garage either? Ive been doing that too. Any weather related concerns with primers? Im aware of keeping ignition components away from large moisture sources as being good practice. I probably get some large humidity swings in the garage too. 30% RH to saturated probably occurs every now and then. Thanks again for all y’alls help! Y’all have beeen a great source of info thus far.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Concerns with storing W296 in garage Central Texas

Post by rlandry6 »

Anything stored in sealed containers will be fine. a lot of guys get anal about storing components, but there is no need to. If you are worried about primers being in unsealed containers, keep them on a shelf in your closet. If the wife complains, tell her that if you ever have a house fire, the primers will be the least of her worries.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I wouldn't. NC here, same crap. Super high humidity in the summer. Get an old fridge and store it in that if you have to. Being careful ( or anal if you choose ) about moisture and temperature isn't a joke when it comes to reloading components.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Not a problem, powder, primers Orr ammo. Nag can bleed out from high temp over a long time, lie years.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I don't see a real concern. I live in a more humid environment (SE TX) and have been shooting(and will be shooting more) powder and primers that have been stored in garages down here for 35-45 years. I think you can contaminate primers by handling more then storing them. The only thing I do with old powder is check that the grains have not broken down to dust. Have not found that yet and some of these older containers are just thick cardboard.

As for as ammo, you WILL have corrosion or interaction between components faster in the garage then you will in a more stable climate. I am keeping my loaded ammo in plastic bags in ammo cans and happy with the results so far.

I did find some 223 ammo I had loaded back in the early 80's that shot fine. The brass was dull but that was it. Of course, YMMV.
exexex

Post by exexex »

Main problem with powder not stored in controlled environment would be trapped moisture. If there are temperature fluctuations inside the container, the trapped moisture would condense and start causing accelerated problems.

So I'd suggest the following:

1. If you can, only open and close the container in a humidity-controlled environment. Inside that environment, pour powder you are going to use into the powder hopper, even if you have to move the hopper out of the controlled environment to actually load.

2. Only buy powder in small amounts (1 pound). More expensive, but it would keep less air in the opened container. Plus it would ruin less powder if it got messed up. Some powder containers are made of soft plastic, so they could be gently squeezed to get as much air out as possible before putting the cap on.

3. As stated, storing powder container inside something insulated from outside temperature fluctuations would help.

4. Theoretically, displacing the air in an opened container with some inert, non-static-generating material would help. Not sure how to operationally do this without causing dispensing problems. Something like closed glass container or marbles that would not attract powder might do it.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Maybe I am lucky :shock: Still have some Bullseye and 2400, 4227 and probably a couple others that have existed in this high humidity for 35 to 40 years that I have had it and probably 5 or more years in some cases that others before me have had it without a problem. Down here we don't have a humidity controlled environment. Most of those are just cardboard containers....not even plastic! We have A/C spaces and spaces w/o A/C. :roll:

Again, no problems with powder clumping, degrading, etc. I always check anyway. I don't leave my powder open either, I pour out about 4 oz. into a old plastic fingerprint tape plastic jar and dispense from there.