2300 ft/sec from 10.5” barrel with 110 grain bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

McAda441

Re: 2300 ft/sec from 10.5” barrel with 110 grain bullets

Post by McAda441 »

gomeybear wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 pm Suppose I’ll be close to 2300 ft/sec with loads that aren’t as hot given the extra 2” of barrel in my 10.5”. I know there are exceptions, but in general, what would y’all think Id need to be at charge wise with H110/W296 to be close to the 2300 ft/sec mark?
What barrel and twist rate are you running? Like I said in my earlier post this 8.5" noveske is faster than my 11.5 BCM barrel. I would start at 20gr of H110 and work your way up with 5-10 shot test groups. Break out the chronograph and watch for pressure signs in the cases. I maxed out at 20.8 with old brass. ThreeHundredBlackout posted that he maxed out at 21 and ended up settling on 20.8gr. All these firearms are different. Gotta start small and work up.
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gomeybear »

10.5” 1:8 barrel twist
McAda441

Post by McAda441 »

I mean who made it? Is it stainless, carbon steel, chrome lined, etc. Quality of construction and barrel material are going to have and effect on velocity as well. SS barrels will always be faster than the rest.
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gomeybear »

Radical Firearm so not high end by any means. Melonited barrel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

McAda441 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 pm
gomeybear wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 pm Suppose I’ll be close to 2300 ft/sec with loads that aren’t as hot given the extra 2” of barrel in my 10.5”. I know there are exceptions, but in general, what would y’all think Id need to be at charge wise with H110/W296 to be close to the 2300 ft/sec mark?
What barrel and twist rate are you running? Like I said in my earlier post this 8.5" noveske is faster than my 11.5 BCM barrel. I would start at 20gr of H110 and work your way up with 5-10 shot test groups. Break out the chronograph and watch for pressure signs in the cases. I maxed out at 20.8 with old brass. ThreeHundredBlackout posted that he maxed out at 21 and ended up settling on 20.8gr. All these firearms are different. Gotta start small and work up.
Holy crap. It’s only a matter of time before someone in this thread has a costly issue. Either to their rifle, themselves or both.

With the lack of experience that is showing in this thread and others, you start at the bottom and work up. You don’t know your powder lot, you damn sure don’t know your chamber and honestly you don’t know what to expect if you go .002-3 grains over max of what your combination can handle.

I know of at least two people that have blown primers completely out at less than 18.5 grains and can tell you for a fact that if you game the load parameters and aren’t restricted to 2.26” you can safely load past 23.5 grains with this bullet. I have factory, properly headstamped brass that shows stretching at the case head probably .5-1 grain sooner than any other brass out there and it’s in the middle of most published load data.

Stop asking how hard others can push loads in their rifles and start learning how to safely work up a load. Stop looking at others data and even considering that it might be a good place to start. It’s where they stopped, quite generally for a reason.

Experience comes at a cost, don’t let that price be your life or limb.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gomeybear »

double post
Last edited by gomeybear on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gomeybear »

dellet wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:50 am
Holy crap. It’s only a matter of time before someone in this thread has a costly issue. Either to their rifle, themselves or both.

With the lack of experience that is showing in this thread and others, you start at the bottom and work up. You don’t know your powder lot, you damn sure don’t know your chamber and honestly you don’t know what to expect if you go .002-3 grains over max of what your combination can handle.

I know of at least two people that have blown primers completely out at less than 18.5 grains and can tell you for a fact that if you game the load parameters and aren’t restricted to 2.26” you can safely load past 23.5 grains with this bullet. I have factory, properly headstamped brass that shows stretching at the case head probably .5-1 grain sooner than any other brass out there and it’s in the middle of most published load data.

Stop asking how hard others can push loads in their rifles and start learning how to safely work up a load. Stop looking at others data and even considering that it might be a good place to start. It’s where they stopped, quite generally for a reason.

Experience comes at a cost, don’t let that price be your life or limb.
I by no means am going to go and replicate what others are saying they do with their rifles without working up in small increments. Im more curious about the potential of what a 10.5” barrel is capable of. I can assure you Ill work up to any of my loads when stretching out said rifle’s legs. Curiosity wont kill this cat, because of what others are posting here; I hope that holds true for other followers of these threads. Also, I dont even think Ill push past published Hornady book values; so, my question really should be.... “What is the fastest anyone has pushed 110 grainers out of 10.5” barrel while staying within published charges?” Is 2300 ft/sec capable while staying within published charges?

I do understand your concern, Dellet. Catastrophic injuries impact life in such a terrible way that causes cascading effects of its negativity to current and future generations of families and friends, and of course to yourself. Co-workers too.... unfortunately we see them as much as family. Ive seen these sort of catastrophes play out first hand; Im sure we all have.

That said, aren’t humans always trying to push the limits regardless of risks.....its in our nature.
If you really think what folks are saying is truly a danger, maybe there should be an automatic disclaimer insert for any of these experimental handloading threads. Some of the threads you’ve posted in, you have personally talked about limits of the caliber and the risks therein..... Just saying, information in several threads that weren’t started by me have folks chiming in on limits all the time. Couldn’t find one specific to 10.5” barrels unfortunately.....
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

This is an old chart from the early days of the Barnes factory load
This is where it came from

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovclou ... ilvers.pdf

There are probably hundreds of threads comparing barrel length and velocity and most are pointless until you load for your rifle. When talking about max loads, barrel length is a bullshit distraction from what keeps you safe.

99% of the time the same load that blows your face off in a 6" barrel will do the same in a 16" barrel. The only time length matters is with subs. Something that is almost a squib in a short barrel will surely be one in a longer barrel.

On average you will lose about 200 FPS from published data going from 16" to 10". That means you will need a load capable of 2500 fps to get your 2300. With a Barnes bullet and seated to mag length you will be well over 60,000 psi. The Cartridge was proofed at 73,500, so I guess that means you have room to make 2300 fps.

Good luck, stay safe and post your results
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.