Couple general loading questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Aggie
Silent Operator

Couple general loading questions

Post by Aggie »

I bought a hornady universal decapping die to use in my Lee press because I like it's primer catcher system much better than my new RCBS rock chucker. So far I'm unimpressed with the hornady die though because the cone? that holds the depriming pin keeps coming loose and has snapped 2 pins.

Question 1: Should I be safe using some loctite blue to hold the cone on? Or am I just going to end up getting the pin off center again to where it gets snapped again?

Question 2: I want to try doing some reloads for the 308 M1A I picked up a few months ago, I've been told I need to switch to the 308 Winchester Service Rifle section in my books, but should all of the brass be full length resized? Or can I neck size fire formed brass (from this M1A) like I would do when I reload for my 308 bolt action?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Couple general loading questions

Post by bangbangping »

1. Pliers. There should be no need for loctite.
2. Yes, you need to full length size. Should be good if you set the shoulder back .003" or so.
savage308

Post by savage308 »

Aggie wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:13 pm I bought a hornady universal decapping die to use in my Lee press because I like it's primer catcher system much better than my new RCBS rock chucker. So far I'm unimpressed with the hornady die though because the cone? that holds the depriming pin keeps coming loose and has snapped 2 pins.

Question 1: Should I be safe using some loctite blue to hold the cone on? Or am I just going to end up getting the pin off center again to where it gets snapped again?

Question 2: I want to try doing some reloads for the 308 M1A I picked up a few months ago, I've been told I need to switch to the 308 <a class="vglnk" href="http://i.viglink.com/?key=fb70fafd077d3 ... %2Fspan%3E" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>Winchester</span></a> Service Rifle section in my books, but should all of the brass be full length resized? Or can I neck size fire formed brass (from this M1A) like I would do when I reload for my 308 bolt action?
1. I do not see where you need to Loctite the expander button that holds the depriming pin on the universal decapper die.i don't have that brand
of die ( I use a lee universal depriming die) and mine is all one piece.
2. it is recommened to always full length size brass for any autoloader. you can see if neck sizing works if you want to .
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Thanks Bang and Savage.

I'll try the pliers, I considered it but I was afraid I would cause damage to that cone/expander button. I'll give it another try next time I'm resizing brass otherwise I'll get a different brand, to replace the depriming pin you have to unscrew the top off the spindle and slide the spindle out of the bottom which is very annoying to me.

F/L sizing it is!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Aggie wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:13 pm I'll try the pliers, I considered it but I was afraid I would cause damage to that cone/expander button.
If we're talking universal decapper, it's not really an expander and does not make contact with the brass. A light scratch or two is no big deal. I wouldn't clamp it in a vise and horse it tight with a 2' pipe wrench, but judicious use of pliers won't hurt anything.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Yep the universal decapper.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Also Make sure you are using the correct size pin. There most likely be 3 sizes available.
Make sure the rod is not bottoming out in the case
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.