Bolt vs AR reloading

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Bolt vs AR reloading

Post by bearcatrp »

Ordered the Howa Mini Action. Has a 16 inch 1:7 barrel. Also have a AR with a 16 inch 1:8 barrel. You folks with both, have you been able to push it a bit more with the bolt action? I use 20 gr of H110 with Hornady V-Max 110 for the AR. Anything higher showed case marks or popped primers. Debating on trying a little slower powder for the bolt action. Something like Socom powder or CFE BLK. Appreciate any tips for the bolt action. Thanks.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bolt vs AR reloading

Post by rebel »

Wait til the rifle arrives. Fire form a hot load in the Howa. Measure base to datum. Write that down and compare it to fire formed AR brass. I would start with brand new brass and keep it with the Howa. Work a load up with H110/W296 and see. If your chamber is longer than the AR it will show it when you measure the brass. You generally can stand on a bolt action a bit harder, but you will wear out brass quick. I don't know where you got the idea that you could get better speed with CFEBLK, don't know anything about Socom but not much gives better speed than H110 and 110 gr. projectiles. I swear I have had this conversation before - glitch in the Matrix?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on the bullet. In my bolt actions I’m not limited to 2.26” cartridge length.

For the most part I load them the same, but my AR’s are not over gassed and I use a bolt that fully supports the case head.

If you’re popping primers with a 110 Vmax and 20 grains of H110, you have other issues with the AR.

You will be hard pressed to find a better performing powder than H110 for 110-125 grain bullets.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

20 gr is what I settled for. Think it was 20.6 is where issues started but not by my notes to verify. My groups were best with 20 gr. My 10 inch barrel really shines with load to. Figured with longer barrel a tad bit slower powder might work better but don’t know. Already have new brass so will do that test. Still need to find a chassis/stock but that’s next month. Should be ready by spring or a bit sooner.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bearcatrp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:39 pm 20 gr is what I settled for. Think it was 20.6 is where issues started but not by my notes to verify. My groups were best with 20 gr. My 10 inch barrel really shines with load to. Figured with longer barrel a tad bit slower powder might work better but don’t know. Already have new brass so will do that test. Still need to find a chassis/stock but that’s next month. Should be ready by spring or a bit sooner.
Base to ogive measurement of the loaded round and BTO of the bullet would be helpful. Also brass type. As dellet said, popping primers with that load is an issue unless your primer pockets are already loose.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

as rebel noted.. without an OAL/CBTO measurement along with brass info its going to be hard to know if 20.6 gr really is a hot load or just a load starting to warm up.

when dealing with H110 - case fill % is critial info... its not a powder that tends to play nice when compressed much. as you've found it can easily go from mild to wild in a very very small charge weight difference as test around published max charges.

most folks try to basically just touch the seated bullet on top of the powder.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I use Hornady new brass. Brass is trimmed to specs from Hornady reloading handbook (latest). I load up the 110 V Max to 2.110. Max coal is 2.204 for the V Max.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bearcatrp wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:13 am I use Hornady new brass. Brass is trimmed to specs from Hornady reloading handbook (latest). I load up the 110 V Max to 2.110. Max coal is 2.204 for the V Max.
That's not a chamber measurement, FIRE FORMED base to datum of your AR brass. We have been through this before. OAL and the Hornady book means nothing when troubleshooting. Provide the measurement so more experienced can determine why you are popping primers. I'm not reverse engendering your load to figure out whats wrong, got things to do. Until you provide that, you are not going to get much information.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Wasn’t asking for info on my current load. My current load is doing just fine. Just asked about pushing a bit more in a bolt action versus an AR. But disregard, got my answer elsewhere.