CFE BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

guns-r-fun2

Re: CFE BLK

Post by guns-r-fun2 »

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to the 300AAC, suppressors, and reloading. I have a 10.5" barreled upper (1:8" twist) with a carbine gas system (adjustable), and a really cheap suppressor (Rebel Hunter SOS). After building the gun I purchased some remington 220gr subs. After noticing every shot keyholing in the target, I inspected the can and found baffle and endcap strike damage. So, I had the can rebuilt and got into reloading. I started with 208 Gr Hornady ELDM and CFE Blk powder and small rifle primers, but was still getting some keyholing at sub velocities....also zero expansion at any usable range (big surprise right?) I then switched to the Hornady 200gr ELDX, Hornady brass, WSR primers, and CFE-BLK powder and started working up some loads.....with pretty good success.

For my setup, I found that 11.3 gr of CFE BLK with COL of 2.230" works well: good gas seal at case to chamber, proper feeding/bolt action and hold open on last shot, good groups at 75 yds (less than 2"....sorry no pics) with 2moa red dot:
Velocities: 1046, 1038, 1006, 1054, 1009, 1016 Avg=1028, spread of 48, and SD of 19
Yay!!! No more keyholing and the suppressor is still alive after a couple hundred rounds.
However...still no bullet expansion at any usable range...

SO.....i wanted to try out the "new" Hornady 190gr Sub-X with the CFE-BLK powder, and was curious if anyone had used this combo in a suppressed SBR with relative success....and if so, load info???

OR....if anyone had any insight into where to start with load development for this combo

I am currently only reloading for this and my 30-06, so my powder choice is limited. I would like to stay with the CFE-BLK.....BUT if someone has experience with these bullets in a similar gun-build with other powders, I would be glad to hear about that too!

Thanks in advance!
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Digging up an older brass/CFE project, last time I tested Lake City and Federal commercial converted brass for accuracy with the 265 DS Special. This time I have WMA, Rem brass and federal commercial brass for the control round to evaluate. Still using 12 grains of CFE BLK with 2.120" C.O.L.

All testing will be at 100 yards

One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
300PreSub

Post by 300PreSub »

guns-r-fun2 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm
I am currently only reloading for this and my 30-06, so my powder choice is limited. I would like to stay with the CFE-BLK.....BUT if someone has experience with these bullets in a similar gun-build with other powders, I would be glad to hear about that too!

Thanks in advance!
I have a separate thread going for 190 sub-x load development going. I am using Accurate 1680 however. May even push this up to supersonic, 1400 or 1500 fps to see how it does. I believe this is a very good projectile and is built well based on the Hornady critical defense design but supersonic is a little risky since to my knowledge, no one has done it in the 300 black. There is a utube video of a guy shooting it into gel with a 308 and it was very impressive. The difference between running this supersonic in a blackout of the 1/8 twist vs 1/10 or 1/12 out of the 08. This is why I am limiting supersonic to 1500 fps, plus, not sure if 1680 will get me any higher. Its the only 300 black powder I currently have. Would consider some 296 / H110 down the road.
Roachclass

Post by Roachclass »

Broke out the chronograph today to test my load.
10.5" Ballistic Advantage 1:7 pistol gas
150gr Speer GD
Hornady brass formed from 223, fired once as 300blk
2.204 col
21.5 gr cfeblk
CCI 450
Average =1715
ES= 9
SD= 3
5 shot group= .634" at 100yrds
Guess I have room to go hotter but I don't see any reason to. Plenty of fps to expand, very consistent and very accurate. Worked this load up using Dellets method described in a reply above.