CFE BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

blaster
Silent But Deadly

CFE BLK

Post by blaster »

on a whim (and a free hazmat sale) I ordered some CFE BLK powder to try. if anyone here has experience with it, I'd appreciate some info. is it good for subsonic and super sonic loads? all bullet weights?I haven't seen any published data on it. I will start Googling after I post this but does anyone have some data or tell me where to look?
thanks, Mike
peace through superior firepower
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: CFE BLK

Post by plant.one »

i highly recommend you check out 300blktalk.com

i hear those guys have a lot of info in the handloading section. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ps: theres a search option just for this forum in the upper right hand corner. looks like a box that says "Search.." with a tiny magnifing glass next to it.
HTH :wink:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Hodgdon has data for 110 gr to 230 gr bullets. I buy the Annual Manual every year, it has their new offerings covered. This is in a magazine format and found on the mag rack in some stores, About December thru February, is when you should see it somewhere. www.hodgdonreloading.com
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

thanks! looks like it is best for subs with heavier bullets. I was hoping it would be good for the 150 gr. Gold Dots but I will try it with them anyway. maybe my barrels will like it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

In general with supers it takes 10% more powder to get 10% less velocity, it can be accurate. For paper targets and steel that’s fine, for hunting it can be a problem if the bullet needs top end velocity to function correctly.

For subs a bullet that can be loaded short and is accurate with a long jump to the lands it works well. The problem is the powder works best compressed, so that eliminates a lot of bullets.

For suppressed use it tends to be louder and dirtier than most powders, but it is easy to work with in as much as it will cycle any AR out there.

Sierra has data for it
https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/12/2 ... load-data/
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

thanks Dellet. I guess I should have done more research BEFORE putting my money down. good thing I only bought 1 lb.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s not my favorite powder, but it is easy to work with and can be very accurate. The trick seems to be getting the bullet seated into the powder. Pressure is very low with this powder so don’t be afraid to work up to max loads quickly. The discouragement you will likely have in group size will start to fade away the closer to max you get.

As always report what you find, it helps the rest out.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Dellet and I agree, not my favorite powder, but certainly has some properties that make it useful. Plenty of gas, lower pressure, capable across the bullet weight spectrum. It does work for me in the 150gr and up bullet weight and seems happiest when a bit compressed and as much pressure it can muster.

One of those powders that has stuff goin for it, you just need to search the data info out there.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

thanks again. I've got a bunch of primed brass and a variety of bullets waiting for it to arrive. :mrgreen:
Baltimoreed11754

Post by Baltimoreed11754 »

I’ve read somewhere that with the full case of CFE that a magnum primer is needed. I’ve just started with my load development. First I had to get my neglected seekins rifle to function but after a tear down and good cleaning it’s running now. My question is do I need sr magnum primers with CFE? When I use up the last few ww sr I’ll switch to my usual standard cci sr. Starting with 110-125 gr bullets.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’