Magnum Primers?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Magnum Primers?

Post by 20X11 »

golfindia wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 pm Rem 7.5 is a bench rest primer according the side of my boxes. Why does hodgdon call it magnum?
Rem 7.5 have a thicker cup than their small rifle 6.5 brethren. 6.5 are NOT for use in .223 NOR 300 blk due to the chamber pressures developed.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

rlandry6 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:20 pm To go Magnum or not also depends on the manufacturer. CCI is the only one I have run across that designates between regular and magnum primers. Winchester does not, neither does Federal.
Not sure about SRP but with Large they do.....

You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

golfindia wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 pm Rem 7.5 is a bench rest primer according the side of my boxes. Why does hodgdon call it magnum?
Fed srp's are designated the same golf.Match or regular - not sure if they consider a Fed. SRP match a magnum. Maybe Hogdgon lists that Remy primer because of cup thickness - IDK just speculating. I use CCI magnums for just about everything except light spring builds where FTFs plague you. Then I use Winchester SRP as the are soft as hell.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

It's just all so damn confusing....
CCI 400 (SR) and CCI 550 (SP-M) are the same primer as stated by the manufacturer. I've used them by shooting a few rounds of each over the Chrony...same same within a small margin of my error. The same is not the case with Winchester primers, though I have not personally tested them.

After years of hand loading, you would think I had some data on primers. For small rifle the 205M was about all I used with ball powder in .223. One day I will run across some data that a really organized and anal loader has compiled on primers. Hmmm, John Barsness lives about half hour away, I think it would be prudent to see if he has the coffee on or out hunting 8)
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Because it is a mag.

https://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

TRshootem wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:34 am It's just all so damn confusing....
CCI 400 (SR) and CCI 550 (SP-M) are the same primer as stated by the manufacturer.
I learned about this after buying 10k of each... :lol:
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
Baltimoreed11754

Post by Baltimoreed11754 »

I mentioned this in another thread but I’ll mention it here. As CFEBLK works best in a full case I’ve read that it needs a magnum primer. Any truth to that?
‘Give’em hell, Pike’