Can't get 150gr GD to sit still

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't get 150gr GD to sit still

Post by TRshootem »

I lube my precision rifle brass on the RCBS pad( light, not too heavy), then Hornady One Shot is sprayed on one of those foam bore cleaners. Twist the inside of the case mouth on the lubed foamie, size the case and then clean the inside of the neck by twisting it on a copper bore brush of the caliber size. RCBS lube is some greasy, slick stuff and will definitely leave behind some residue. By all you've described, this sure sounds like a change in your lube application is called for. This is also done when forming .223 brass into 300 BLK in a Hornady die, just as described. I have zero issues related to brass making or function in several AR's. Using this die and lube setup, in the Hornady die, even forming without cutting goes very smoothly.

I form, cut to length, anneal and then trim. Another issue comes to mind, headspace being too long or short by several thousandths sure can cause some of the other issues in a gas gun in particular.
Baltimoreed11754

Post by Baltimoreed11754 »

Just wondering if the 150s that you’re using have a cannelure groove to crimp into? You might want to get a cannelure tool so you can put it where you want it to keep your oal correct. They shouldn’t move then.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Baltimoreed11754 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 pm Just wondering if the 150s that you’re using have a cannelure groove to crimp into? You might want to get a cannelure tool so you can put it where you want it to keep your oal correct. They shouldn’t move then.
Crimping is not necessary if neck tension is adequate. Crimping is often,not always, but often not conducive to accuracy. Best control of neck tension is with a mandrel or a bushing, if you don't want to pony up for that then carefully polish and reduced the size of your expander ball. The Speer GD is slick and has no crimping groove.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

Sorry to be slow responding. Still in the woods a lot till first of the year. Then it'll only be 3 or 4 days a week. :lol:
With deer season now winding down and the part-timers clearin outta the club I'm gonna mess with it s'more. Will try this newer batch of unused-since-processed brass and take more care to clean the lube outta the neck. The current batch of brass is very well used with both subs and supers.
Plus, it's not like this is a high volume setup. Also, with a good chamfer I could easily seat without using the expander ball at all. No need for internal neck lube. So I think I may try that with the next run as well.
If I can't get any of this to work I may try a bushing die for sizing. Haven't looked for a SB bushing sizer before. d:^) Schneeks..
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig?