Can't get 150gr GD to sit still

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Can't get 150gr GD to sit still

Post by Schneeky »

Hey guys, tried the 150gr GD in the 7.5" PSA upper (super/suppressed) and it shot ok. But checking the OAL the bullet is moving forward pretty good (.005"ish) after just one cycle from the mag. Even more pronounced with trying to cycle it multiple times. I'm FL resizing and putting a stout LFC to it.
Any suggestions to what may help? Got grande plans to build a 9.5" or somethin like here shortly but this is what I have on hand for now. I do not have these issues with the 110gr Tacs. Thanks.. d:^)
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig?
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't get 150gr GD to sit still

Post by popper »

Check neck tension on loaded ammo by pushing nose against something sturdy. May need to sand down the spud a bit. Light bullets don't have the inertia to move. Probably worst that can happen is it hits the lands. Hard crimp with FCD could be crushing the thin jacket or (worse) collapsing the neck messing up neck tension.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

What dies and what brass are you using? Just reading "stout lcf" send shivers down my spine, happy Halloween.
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

Re-made LC. Shot several times.
RCBS FLSB sizer, Lee seater and LFC.
By "stout" I mean stronger than the usual light touch. I sure ain't standin' on it.
Dunno how ya measure that, actually.
Got s'more on order. Used these in the Handi. But would like to be able to use them in the shorty, mebbe.
All I'm wantin outta this rig is 100 yards or so for bushwork. d:^)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

My first thought is it’s a bad combination.

Is this happening when shooting, or are you cycling by hand, letting the bolt go from lock?

I would check to see if slowing the bolt down or reducing buffer weight helps. Pistol gas suppressed supers are always over gassed.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

I've only been cycling by hand letting loose from lock to somewhat simulate live cycling. I've installed a PSA AGB (cause that's the only one I could find I was sure would fit under that skinny handguard) and turned the gas wayyyyyy down. It was seriously overgassed and flinging brass into the next county. I had put an H2 buffer in it prior to the AGB. It's still in there.
So I should reduce the buffer weight ya think?
Thanks, fellas.. d:^)

Sorry to be slow responding. At deer camp and connectivity is limited.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

theres no reason to remove the h2.

the standard recipe for spring/buffer for this caliber is as follows

pistol gas port = standard carbine spring, H2 buffer
carbine gas port = standard carbine spring, carbine buffer

tune it to cycle correctly with the h2 and happily ever after and stuff :mrgreen:

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

Got a few days back from hunt camp for mid season break.
It's cycling fine. Got it tossin'em out a few feet away bout 5'o'clock with the Barnes 110's (bloodied it on a nanny this past week).
What I was havin trouble with is the bullets moving forward in the case when they cycle. It may be a non-issue. But figgered I'd ask to see if there was somethin goofy I was or wasn't doing. The top case may get chambered/cleared several times before being fired.
Thanks much for y'all's responses. d:^) Jake..

ETA: Tried removing the expander ball. Bullet went in the case no problem with a good chamfer. But still moves forward or backwards depending on stripping from the magazine or dropping in the chamber to load, with a coupla different pieces of brass. Mebbe I'm being a moron or just missing something. Mebbe I just need to get over it and hunt the fool things or stick with the lighter Barnes in a self loading configuration. Dunno. I will say that these cases have a few load cycles on'em, FWIW.
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

While I'm definitely not the most experienced reloader in the world, here are a couple of thoughts I had that haven't been mentioned. You may have had them already, but I'll throw them out there anyway. Double check that your case mouths are not lubed from your sizing process, they should be nice and clean. Might be worth it to take some extra care and clean a few with a cotton swab/alcohol before charging and seating, just as an experiment. Some people tend to go wild with sizing lube. Also, you mentioned the cases have several loadings on them, so you may want to try annealing a few and see if that helps your problem. Brass gets work hardened, and starts to develop a spring back from sizing. Hope you get it figured out; and when you do, let us know what it was!
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

I do push the case mouth into the RCBS lube pad and won't claim to do much more than wipe it off for cleaning after. So it def could be a contributing factor. These cases may have an issue. Was gonna try some newer cases to see if I got different results.
It's kinda hard to mess with it much right now with deer season in full swing. d:^)