Hornady 150gr sst

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Anthonyasphalt

Hornady 150gr sst

Post by Anthonyasphalt »

Hello all, I recently loaded up around 100 rounds using 150 gr sst bullets with 18.7 grains of 1680, col was set at 2.110 instead of 2.210, spaced and forgot too reset my bullet seating die too hornady's 2.210 Col.
My question is do you think is safe to shoot or do have to pull all my bullets and start over?
Thank you in advance.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 150gr sst

Post by TRshootem »

Western Powder's data for 1680 and 150 gr bullets starts at 19.4 grains and stops at 21.6 gr. Hope this helps you make a decision 8)
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Sounds like you need to type the following:

"How to work up a load"

Into your favorite search engine and do some reading before you blow yourself or anyone else up.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Is that powder charge a “known” charge for you?

I’ve always felt that 1680 was the safest powder available for this cartridge.

I have never used those medium weight supersonic bullets in black out so I have no personal experience, but the times that I have experimented with 1680 trying to see what the maximum I could come up with using 125 grain bullet I literally packed so much powder in the case that it must have stuffed the primer anvil so full of that super fine ball powder that some rounds wouldn’t even fire. And the ones that did showed no signs of high pressure.

I can’t officially answer your question. I can look it up on quick load later, and perhaps someone else can beat me to that. But if it were my gun, I would try one and just see what you get.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Couple of things to think about.

If you have to ask people you don’t know if it’s safe, don’t shoot it. :shock:

Load up 10 more rounds with the same charge weight, 2 each at the longer length and two at -020” increments to the short depth. Shoot those and watch for pressure signs, stop if you see any.

Depending on what you have for a bullet puller, you can most likely pull the bullets out some and re-seat them at the correct length. Inertia pullers are great for this.

You picked a powder bullet combination that is hard to get in trouble with, but don’t let that lead to complacency. There are a couple powders that this kind of mistake could be life changing. Until you have some experience, it’s best to be safe.

All that said, you’re three grains off max, that “should” be a safe load. Only way to know for sure is pull the trigger.

The main thing is if you are not going to load the that length the next time, all you’re doing if you shoot these is waste components. Best you can do is learn something about working up loads from it. Loading 100 rounds not knowing how they will perform, in my way of thinking is a bigger mistake than the incorrect seating depth.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Anthonyasphalt

Post by Anthonyasphalt »

I shoot this load on a regular basis as a plinking round but use the Hornady fmjbt 150gr, 1680 18.7 -19.7 grains with no issues, the sst bullet sits a little deeper in the case so that is my concern, my mistake was looking at the cannalure's on the sst bullet so I could put a light crimp as I do on the fmjbt bullet I usually use.
So I'm concerned with overpressure or compacting the powder.
There wasn't anymore resistance when seating the bullet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Anthonyasphalt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 pm I shoot this load on a regular basis as a plinking round but use the Hornady fmjbt 150gr, 1680 18.7 -19.7 grains with no issues, the sst bullet sits a little deeper in the case so that is my concern, my mistake was looking at the cannalure's on the sst bullet so I could put a light crimp as I do on the fmjbt bullet I usually use.
So I'm concerned with overpressure or compacting the powder.
There wasn't anymore resistance when seating the bullet.
On a normal press you can't feel compression until you have a fair amount. With an arbor it's easy. My guess is that you have slight compression.

Drop the charge into a fired case and set a bullet on the powder, that will tell you exactly what length it starts to hit the powder.

You have about .180" more bullet in the case loaded the way you are, than Hornady data. Will probably have about the same pressure as a 21 grain load.
Anthonyasphalt

Post by Anthonyasphalt »

Thank you for your response, I was thinking the same 21ish grains, I'm on the fence since I have never loaded any rounds with that much powder.
It's at the high end which is 21.4 max per hornady's load data.
My gut tells me to pull the bullets and reseat them too the 2.210 recommended.
If I had a sacrificial gun, I would put it on a rest, tie a string to the trigger, standing back and pull it.
Anthonyasphalt

Post by Anthonyasphalt »

I have loaded and shot hornady fmjbt 150gn with 19.7 grains of 1680 with a col of 2.110, with no issues.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Anthonyasphalt wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:05 pm I have loaded and shot hornady fmjbt 150gn with 19.7 grains of 1680 with a col of 2.110, with no issues.
You would have to seat the FMJ to 2.030” have the same pressure as the SST at 2.110.