308 diameter projectiles; how to tell for which caliber?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

mesooohoppy

Re: 308 diameter projectiles; how to tell for which caliber?

Post by mesooohoppy »

I did manage to get out and shoot my first 308 loads yesterday. I do need a lot more time with a bolt action as I usually only train/shoot with semis. While 1.24 moa isnt anything to brag about, it's a good start and the grouping will get smaller (I'm having a problem with my 308 powder hopper catching, which I think is creating a big deviation in my powder charge). It's very addicting getting into new calibers. 300blk stuff to come soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3SipFUAMt0 ... 7o0l20m0a9

Thanks again ya'll.
havoc_squad

Post by havoc_squad »

mesooohoppy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 pm I did manage to get out and shoot my first 308 loads yesterday. I do need a lot more time with a bolt action as I usually only train/shoot with semis. While 1.24 moa isnt anything to brag about, it's a good start and the grouping will get smaller (I'm having a problem with my 308 powder hopper catching, which I think is creating a big deviation in my powder charge). It's very addicting getting into new calibers. 300blk stuff to come soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3SipFUAMt0 ... 7o0l20m0a9

Thanks again ya'll.
Just to let you know from that IG post, CFE 223 is probably best left for bulk ammo and heavier pills for .308 Win/7.62 NATO.

In my load development of .308 win, CFE 223 does a piss poor job once the charge weight goes higher than the burn rate and barrel support for light pills(150gr and smaller).

It does poorly in my 20 inch due to the burn rate being too slow on higher charges, causing incomplete burns which trash your SD and ES velocity and it creates accuracy issues.

It also has a high temperature sensitivity.

Just my two cents, if you suffer from the same issues, I would avoid future purchases of CFE 223 unless it's the only affordable powder locally.

Blc-2, W748, Varget, norma tac, h4895, IMR 4064, etc. to me are all better choices.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Peace wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:00 am tallburnedmidget, I vote that as the best post of 2019!!

{right click, select all, copy, paste, save}
Hahahaha I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

I don't get here as much as I used to years ago but I have been trying to check back in a little more these days :)
exexex

Post by exexex »

Great info above. Only weird thing I have found is that I used some .308 Hornady 150g SST bullets in 300BLK and the Hornady published COL for that bullet under their 300BLK loads put the crimp quite a bit below the cannelure. They shot great in my bolt gun. FYI: I do put a very slight crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp Die, which can crimp without cannelure.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

landing in the cannelure isnt critical for good loading. that some projectiles with them happen to have an OAL that puts the cannelure at the case mouth in this caliber is often just a happy accident.

if you havent already, make sure you reference the error data hornady published - both 9th and 10th edition have multiple corrections for the 150gr class projectiles (among others) for this caliber

you can find the full list here on their website

https://www.hornady.com/support/load-da ... ook-errata
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.