Hello everyone. Newby here, have 2 - 300 blackouts

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Planetharris

Hello everyone. Newby here, have 2 - 300 blackouts

Post by Planetharris »

Hey. So, I'll state up front, 300 blackout and 6.5 creedmoor are my 2 favorite rifles right now (pistol for 1 of then) I have a 10.5" and 8.5" 300's. Have quite a few other guns, but won't list them all. Anyways, the reason I signed up, is I have a question on reloading. I've been reloading for a couple of months, using both the cheap 125gr stuff and 120gr tac tx. My main goal was to be the most accurate loads, so have been going up and down the river per say with h110 to find the best load and overall lengths. But then something hit me. So the question is. Since we know the BO is really a 200-300 yard shooter, why do we not load for max speed? Let's say for instance, I'm 100 yards sub MOA with my 10.5" at 2000ish fps (haven't got that far with 8.5" testing yet). This is just an example, not true numbers. Let's say we can make the 120gr tac tx run 2300 fps, yet gives us 1.5 MOA. Sure quite a bit of difference at the face value. But the overall distance of ability to kill a deer per say, just went up. So let's say now, we are at 5-6" spread at 400 yards. Still not bad if now we can keep the drop from falling so much. Get what I'm asking? I've been worrying about accuracy on my 300, even though I know I'll never shoot past 400 yards for anything. So wouldn't speed be king? Thanks for your answers and if that's a stupid question, I'm not a ❄ so have at it.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hello everyone. Newby here, have 2 - 300 blackouts

Post by 20X11 »

Shot placement has a lot to do with lethality, regardless of the target. I prefer repeatable shot placement over a couple hundred extra fps. YMMV
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Planetharris wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm Hey. So, I'll state up front, 300 blackout and 6.5 creedmoor are my 2 favorite rifles right now (pistol for 1 of then) I have a 10.5" and 8.5" 300's. Have quite a few other guns, but won't list them all. Anyways, the reason I signed up, is I have a question on reloading. I've been reloading for a couple of months, using both the cheap 125gr stuff and 120gr tac tx. My main goal was to be the most accurate loads, so have been going up and down the river per say with h110 to find the best load and overall lengths. But then something hit me. So the question is. Since we know the BO is really a 200-300 yard shooter, why do we not load for max speed? Let's say for instance, I'm 100 yards sub MOA with my 10.5" at 2000ish fps (haven't got that far with 8.5" testing yet). This is just an example, not true numbers. Let's say we can make the 120gr tac tx run 2300 fps, yet gives us 1.5 MOA. Sure quite a bit of difference at the face value. But the overall distance of ability to kill a deer per say, just went up. So let's say now, we are at 5-6" spread at 400 yards. Still not bad if now we can keep the drop from falling so much. Get what I'm asking? I've been worrying about accuracy on my 300, even though I know I'll never shoot past 400 yards for anything. So wouldn't speed be king? Thanks for your answers and if that's a stupid question, I'm not a ❄ so have at it.
Hi there and welcome!

Accurracy #1 and speed #2.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't find a great middle ground. If you have a under a half inch group at 100yds with one load and then you push the speed to top speed and end up with a .75-1 inch group at 100 yds AND you intend to hunt at 100yds then to me it is a no brainer to go with the faster load at 100yds.

If you plan to shoot at 200yds then same process. Get most accurate and then push speed up and only continue to increase speed while accuracy is good at 200yds.
Planetharris

Post by Planetharris »

Thanks for the replies. I will give a disclaimer, that 90% of my load data came from here even though I'm a newby as far as signing up. So thanks everyone for that. From there, I just trial and error. Do kinda wish more were using 120gr tac-tx bullets.
But, on a wild whim my brain just started wondering, what if I did want to take a long shot? A 40-50" less drop of a bullet would be easier to hit. Anyhoo. Thanks for the answers, seems I just need to find a happy median. Not the fastest, not the most accurate. Most accurate and fastest as a combination. Thanks again. And, I'll stick around now and learn. ;-)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Planetharris wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:27 pm Thanks for the replies. I will give a disclaimer, that 90% of my load data came from here even though I'm a newby as far as signing up. So thanks everyone for that. From there, I just trial and error. Do kinda wish more were using 120gr tac-tx bullets.
But, on a wild whim my brain just started wondering, what if I did want to take a long shot? A 40-50" less drop of a bullet would be easier to hit. Anyhoo. Thanks for the answers, seems I just need to find a happy median. Not the fastest, not the most accurate. Most accurate and fastest as a combination. Thanks again. And, I'll stick around now and learn. ;-)
No problem! I think the initial 120gr Tac-tx issue was availability. It was announced and marketed and then didn't ever seem to be available everywhere for a while (at least that is what I remember). Then by the time it actually became available people had moved on, didn't care, or lost their appetite due to the bad rollout experience with the bullet.

I personally moved on to a different bullet for hunting that seemed to be much more of what I was looking for so I had no need to even try the 120gr Blacktip. When I run out of the 3,000+ bullets I am currently using for hunting in the 300BLK then I may give the 120gr Blacktip along with the 150gr Gold Dot a shot hahaha :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I always choose accuracy and precision over speed. However, if I had a super consistent load that shot 1.5 MOA every time, I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with it. I would know the limitations of that load and adjust my hunting parameters for it. Truth be known, if you a laser beam of a rifle, we will say 1/4 MOA capable of a proper bench and then bring it to the field to shoot from a lock on stand, braced on a tree, a tripod, ect. , our groups may double or even triple in size. I have found that spring and summer varmint hunting helps to keep my field shooting sharp.

The main thing is to know your and your rifle's limitations and adjust your hunting style for success. Be as precise as you can be with your equipment and only take shots that you absolutely know are within your wheelhouse.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

rebel wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:51 am
The main thing is to know your and your rifle's limitations and adjust your hunting style for success. Be as precise as you can be with your equipment and only take shots that you absolutely know are within your wheelhouse.
This, to me, is the most important aspect of hunting.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Planetharris

Post by Planetharris »

👍
Right on.