Lehigh Defense Close Quarters

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lehigh Defense Close Quarters

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:15 pm
dellet wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 am

It's a good bullet for short range. It has a terrible BC and high expansion velocity. Even at max load it falls below the expansion threshold in about 75 yards.

not many self defense scenerio's would be winnable in court anywhere near 75 yds away.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say this bullet was probably engineered for use at closer to 75 feet or even less...

so yes.. you're very right that its probably not the best hunting bullet.. but used as intended it probably gets the work done pretty well..
But it's also a problem at 75 feet in anything less than a 9" barrel. Min expansion is 2350 fps. In an 8" barrel that's about all you get at the muzzle and it will drop 50 fps in 30 feet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BOB567

Post by BOB567 »

dellet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:01 pm
BlogSarge wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am What is your intended use?

For self defense, I'd like some more gel testing. I like the FBI testing process as it uses real world data and a repeatable testing protocol. A bullet that comes apart and doesn't penetrate enough is, in my opinion, worse than a bullet that penetrates more than the specified minimum 12". It is hard to tell, but the vid says all pieces penetrate less than 16". so it looks like the main wound cavity ends at 8-10 inches or so. This bullet fragments and may not get into the Target. I am a fan of a bullet that stays together, expands reasonably well, and reaches deep enough to get to vitals. I am not ruling it out, but some independent tests in calibrated gel might be informative.

For hunting, it dumps a lot of oomph into a short would cavity which might work well for lighter game animals up to whitetail size. It would certainly make a mess of deer innards. But it might not yield much of a blood trail. Of course, the 100 blacktip doesn't give much blood either, and it makes a mess of the lungs when placed well.

Thought I'd fix that for you.

The problem with these bullets are that they are fragile and have an incredibly high Minimum velocity, 2350 FPS.

That velocity can be hard to get in a 8" barrel unless you push them hard. if you push them hard they tend to come apart at the muzzle.

I had better luck with this bullet.

https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=30085BLK
Any idea where to find load data on the Makers 85 gr?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Light bullets like this are almost impossible to over charge until you get into really fast powders, but don’t take that as a challenge or gospel. 24 grains of Bullseye would probably have some pressure issues. That said the load on the avatar was 24 grains of 296.

I’m not where I can easily access my data this week. I would start with 22 grains of 296 or H110 with the bullet seated tonthe cannelure or .200” deep.

I load any thing with 296 the same way. Bullet just resting on the powder.

Not a big help but a start.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BOB567

Post by BOB567 »

dellet wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 am Light bullets like this are almost impossible to over charge until you get into really fast powders, but don’t take that as a challenge or gospel. 24 grains of Bullseye would probably have some pressure issues. That said the load on the avatar was 24 grains of 296.

I’m not where I can easily access my data this week. I would start with 22 grains of 296 or H110 with the bullet seated tonthe cannelure or .200” deep.

I load any thing with 296 the same way. Bullet just resting on the powder.

Not a big help but a start.
Thank you.