bullet creep forward on chambering in 300 BLK AR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

bullet creep forward on chambering in 300 BLK AR

Post by Bgd »

I know this topic has come up on numerous occasions. I thought I had this problem solved by using converted LC brass. Today I tried loading 150 grain Speer GD bullets and they are moving forward in the case .1 each time they are chambered. This was in converted LC brass that I have not had a problem with before. it is not compressed charge and I tried a light crimp.

I may need to just stick to bullets like the cannelured 115 Lehigh CC that you can crimp the crap out of.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks
NRA life member.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Re: bullet creep forward on chambering in 300 BLK AR

Post by Bgd »

I just had an idea that maybe I got some case lube inside the neck. I am going to clean the cases in the sonic cleaner and try again monday.
NRA life member.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

define "light crimp"
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Carbon build up in your neck can be your friend. Try not cleaning a few, 0000 steel wool the outside of the necks and load them for a test.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

plant.one wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:58 pm define "light crimp"
Just enough to put pressure on the bullet but not enough to dent the bullet since it has no cannelure.
NRA life member.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

rebel wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:53 pm Carbon build up in your neck can be your friend. Try not cleaning a few, 0000 steel wool the outside of the necks and load them for a test.
dang i cleaned them all.
NRA life member.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Bgd wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 pm
Just enough to put pressure on the bullet but not enough to dent the bullet since it has no cannelure.
ok couple more questions if you dont mind

how far from contact did you screw the FCD in for your crimp? 1/8th turn? 1/4?

are you using same headstamp brass or mixed?

how many times has this brass been fired?

are you belling the case mouth before seating (either via a universal expander, a M die, or a powder through die?)

additionally lets take a couple actual measurements and see what exactly you're working with.

i would suggest the following

measure the ID and OD of the case mouth prior to seating
measure the case wall thickness in the neck
measure the OD of the neck at the case mouth - or as close as you can get - after seating but before crimping
measure the OD of the neck at the case mouth - or as close as you can get - after crimping

the more info you can provide the better chance that someone will be able to help you.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

plant.one wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:10 am
Bgd wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 pm
ok couple more questions if you dont mind

how far from contact did you screw the FCD in for your crimp? 1/8th turn? 1/4? 1/8th with a RCBS TC die

are you using same headstamp brass or mixed? LC

how many times has this brass been fired? converted 223 second firing after conversion.

are you belling the case mouth before seating (either via a universal expander, a M die, or a powder through die?) no belling

additionally lets take a couple actual measurements and see what exactly you're working with.

i would suggest the following

measure the ID and OD of the case mouth prior to seating ID .301 OD .324
measure the case wall thickness in the neck .11
measure the OD of the neck at the case mouth - or as close as you can get - after seating but before crimping .331
measure the OD of the neck at the case mouth - or as close as you can get - after crimping .330

the more info you can provide the better chance that someone will be able to help you.
NRA life member.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

other than your pre-seating neck ID being a bit tight - i think most folks are looking for -0.003 to -0.004 under bullet dia and you're at -0.007 - your numbers seem about right.

i wonder if seating a bullet into a neck that small is actually forcing the bullet to act as a neck expander mandrill and losing any grip you might have gained with a properly sized neck ID.

or if you're possibly getting some kind of bullet/jacket deformation seating into a neck that tight that hasnt been annealed - have you pulled a bullet after seating to check both pre and post crimp? might be worth a look to know for sure.

i'm not familiar with the RCBS TC die... but from a quick google it appears to be a seating AND crimp die combo... is that accurate?

most of us are using a LEE FCD to taper crimp.

i dunno how much a difference it will make, but i recall plenty of times in the past (not necessarily with the RCBS die you're using) that taking the seating and crimping step into two different processes often can be the catalyst for success.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

plant.one wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 pm other than your pre-seating neck ID being a bit tight - i think most folks are looking for -0.003 to -0.004 under bullet dia and you're at -0.007 - your numbers seem about right.

i wonder if seating a bullet into a neck that small is actually forcing the bullet to act as a neck expander mandrill and losing any grip you might have gained with a properly sized neck ID.

or if you're possibly getting some kind of bullet/jacket deformation seating into a neck that tight that hasnt been annealed - have you pulled a bullet after seating to check both pre and post crimp? might be worth a look to know for sure.

i'm not familiar with the RCBS TC die... but from a quick google it appears to be a seating AND crimp die combo... is that accurate?

most of us are using a LEE FCD to taper crimp.

i dunno how much a difference it will make, but i recall plenty of times in the past (not necessarily with the RCBS die you're using) that taking the seating and crimping step into two different processes often can be the catalyst for success.
When I first started loading blackout I ran into this problem so I sanded one of my expander buttons down to see if it would solve the problem. I was using the expander that I sanded. I swapped out the expander for one that measures .305. I loaded a round and it only moved .0005 out, the second time I chambered it moved an additional .0004. without being crimped. big improvement. I can probably live with that. I will load a few more and make sure this round is not just a fluke. The things i changed were cleaning the cases, used the expander button that measured .305, I also cleaned the inside of the neck with alcohol and let them sit overnight.

I had this problem when i first started loading blackout and the problem went away when i switched from FC cases to converted LC cases. I was surprised to see it show up again. just goes to show we should never stop checking our rounds.

I have a LEE FCD die and i love it for putting a full crimp on my 30/30, 45/70 rounds, and blackouts that have a cannelure. i have trouble putting a light crimp on with it.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Any other pointers are welcome!!
NRA life member.