Digital powder scale

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

savage204

Digital powder scale

Post by savage204 »

I finally had some time this evening to start some loading. After getting everything set up i calibrated my Dillon D-terminator (older model) and checked it with check weights. It was off by .1 grain. No big deal calibrated again and rechecked. At first it read exactly right, then a few seconds later it increased by .1 then .2 then .3 ect. So one more calibration, put a .5 grain check weight on and went inside to eat dinner. When i came back it was reading 4.5 grains.

I haven't used the scale in a few years but it's always been kept in the plastic case it came with and inside the house.

Tomorrow i will call Dillon but my question is what digital scales do you have and had good luck with? Just incase Dillon tells me tough luck.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: Digital powder scale

Post by popper »

They drift and it accumulates.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Mine (GemPro) will do that when some powder has worked its way inside. Try blowing it out with some compressed air.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Are you powering it with an AC adapter (wallwort)?

95% of wallworts are junk, and super dirty. If you have the capability, check the no-load voltage output. It's probably much higher than necessary. A load will drag down the voltage, and it will be highly variable. The only way I've been able to make cheap digital scales work is to run them on a well regulated power supply (with step down if necessary). Wrapping extra power cord in ferrite can also eliminate noise from fluorescent and LED lights nearby.

Leaving it on 24/7 will also help. Running them on battery power is better but a pain.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

golfindia wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 am Wrapping extra power cord in ferrite can also eliminate noise from fluorescent and LED lights nearby.

i was going to ask the fluorescent question.... older magnetic ballasts produce EM fields due to the nature of the coils used to alter the line voltage to working lamp voltage in them. I dont think that a ferite choke would help with that completely - as it'll only regulate voltage wierdness from the power pack and not actually change the fact that you're near an ElectroMagnetic field that could be messing with the scale itself.

if you have an older fixture that uses the big t-12 (1.5") lamps... try moving the scale somewhere else where those style of lights arent in use and try again. if the problem goes away... time for a lighting upgrade over your work area!

newer electronic ballast flourscents dont - or shouldnt! - have that issue due to the voltage being converted by a small circuit board.

likewise LED's should produce no field as they're wholely electronicly driven by PCB's (printed circuit boards) - i run a couple LED strips over my bench for this very reason.

you'll also want to make sure that the room you're in has limited air movement as that can interfere with things as well. I know if i'm running a fan in the funroom when i've got the chargemaster going it can float if i dont close the draft shield.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
savage204

Post by savage204 »

Thank you for all the replies.

I remembered today about the florescent light, which i do have above my work bench. At my old house i just had the regular incandescent bulbs. I'll try using it in the house before calling Dillon. I also remember hearing that wiping down with a dryer sheet could help, i'll try that and blowing it out with the compressor turned down.
flamatrix99

Post by flamatrix99 »

I have the same scale and it does that. I thought it was because i run it on batteries. I lost the AC adapter and have been trying to find a new one. It drives me nuts when it varies.

I also have a Redding beam scale that i use to keep the two in check with each other.
flamatrix99

Post by flamatrix99 »

After reading the thread I ordered a new LED for my reloading bench to replace the fluorescent one on Amazon before Prime Day ran out.
savage204

Post by savage204 »

Thankfully my scale seems to be happier now. I was able to load 30 rounds for testing. I checked and doubled checked powder weights on each round and used check weights every 5 rounds. It was dead on every time, my confidence in the scale has definitely gone up.

I let the scale warm up for approximately 20 min while i was doing other chores and i also made sure to not turn on any florescent lights. Funny the things i forgot after a few years of not loading. Looks like a led shop light is in store!

Thanks everyone for your help!! I'll post results of the test loads after i get out to try them. Hopefully it will cool off some, been upper 90s here past few days.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

glad it helped.

one thing i highly suggest - get a "daylight" fixture when you do upgrade... that being one with a color temperature between 5000K (kelvin) and 6500K

you can go as high as around 8000K but you'll have more blue light in it then. 5000-6500K seems to be the sweet spot, and are a common LED color to find for lighting.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.