Primer pocket longevity

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Primer pocket longevity

Post by wildfowler »

I pulled my micro 7 out recently to tinker with and remembered that last year I noticed my warm loads were producing primer pocket “looseness” after four or five cycles.

That was using new lake city 5.56 reformed brass.

I have 100 lapua brass but my regular load shot so bad in it that I put it away until I consumed the rest of the LC brass.

I’d love to hear what some of you fellows who like to experiment have found to be the longest lasting primer pockets?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Primer pocket longevity

Post by dellet »

For me Norma has probably been the longest lasting, then Lapua. Both have gone well past 10 firings of stout loads, Norma gets retired to subs or load work up after 15. These would be near or over max load for supers and generally low to mid 40k psi loads for subs.

The testing loads for Norma was a 155 grain bullet at 2230 fps using 296 using 10 cases in a 16” barrel. lost the first one at the 14th firing and still had 7 at 20, only one left at 22. At some point in there maybe after 7-8 firings I ran them all through a 223 full length die. The bases were hanging up, but I did not want to touch the shoulders.

Lapua started dropping off around 10-12.

LC never made it past 7-8. I think that was due more to the swaging of the crimps.

Absolute minimum sizing, using a Wilson full length bushing die. Setting the shoulder back .001”. Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Trued Model 7 action.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Thanks for those suggestions.

My LC brass is new so there are no crimps to deal with.

Regarding swaging I have switched to using a chamfer tool to remove them rather than using my swaging tool. I’ve found that lightly breaking the edge with a turn or two was all that was needed to allow new primers to be seated.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

I use a Ballistic Tools go/no go primer pocket gauge to determine whether the case gets rejected. https://www.brownells.com/reloading/mea ... 00-015-613

It doesn't answer your question on max number of loads before the primer pockets loosen up, but the gauge will help you determine the end point easily.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use the universal deprimer and toss when they come out easy.
Last edited by popper on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I can say the Worst for me has been WCC, followed by FC followed by RP formed from 221 Fireball.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

Blowout wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:48 pm I use a Ballistic Tools go/no go primer pocket gauge to determine whether the case gets rejected.
thanks! that is just what I need. some of my brass is getting old and I have been having an occasional primer falling out. now I will be able to check them before loading.
peace through superior firepower
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

If a primer goes in too easily, I take that case and stick it in a universal depriming die. If the primer comes out with little or no pressure, I chuck it and reuse the primer. If it "sort of" stays in OK, I mark it with a sharpie, load it and leave it in the grass when I shoot it. No way am I sticking a little doo-dad into every primer hole I load.....
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

popper wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 pm I use the universal deprived and toss when they come out easy.
That’s my method. If it feels loose when I’m installing the primer, I pull out the recapping die and if I can punch it out by hand I toss the brass.

I appreciate the responses on the types of brass you’ve had troubles with. That’s the kind of discussion I was looking for.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

If your ambitious you can try this to tighten the primer pockets. https://youtu.be/1ST25CUpqhY
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower