Is Lil Gun obsolete now? Cast for supers and subs, 150gr+ bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

psychbiker
Silent Operator

Is Lil Gun obsolete now? Cast for supers and subs, 150gr+ bullets

Post by psychbiker »

It's been a year or 2 since I've touched anything blackout related. I was going through the reloading bench and noticed I have 4 pounder of lil gun and 2 single pounders.

Is Lil Gun an obsolete powder now to use with cast coated or FMJ in bullets 150gr-230gr in a 16" AR?

I also have 1680 and Shooters World Blackout. I'm thinking about selling the Lil Gun but checking in with experts here. Maybe it's worth keeping for heavy mild plinking rounds?

I hitek coat my cast and figured as long as I keep things under 1800fps I should be good.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is Lil Gun obsolete now? Cast for supers and subs, 150gr+ bullets

Post by dellet »

psychbiker wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 am It's been a year or 2 since I've touched anything blackout related. I was going through the reloading bench and noticed I have 4 pounder of lil gun and 2 single pounders.

Is Lil Gun an obsolete powder now to use with cast coated or FMJ in bullets 150gr-230gr in a 16" AR?

I also have 1680 and Shooters World Blackout. I'm thinking about selling the Lil Gun but checking in with experts here. Maybe it's worth keeping for heavy mild plinking rounds?

I hitek coat my cast and figured as long as I keep things under 1800fps I should be good.
Not obsolete at all. My personal experience with it is that I have never found a load where it gave the “best results”. Always something a bit more accurate or faster. My biggest complaint is it produces noticeably more heat in the barrel, quicker than most other powders.

In the weight range you’re talking about it’s hard to beat the other two powders you listed. Even more so if you want to shoot supers.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.