VihtaVuori Powders for 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

VihtaVuori Powders for 300 BLK

Post by alamo5000 »

I have heard a couple of good things about this type of power here and there but I've never tried any. The other day at a local shop they gave me a 2019 reloader's guide from the company so it piqued my interests.

In their reloader's manual they have N105, N110, and N120 listed. Their manual doesn't go beyond a 200 grain bullet but I am still curious. Are there any other powders in their line up that could also be used?

Can anyone with experience tell me a little bit about these specific powders and which ones are good for or better than others etc.

I am keen to test out some so when I do my big primer order I might get a couple of pounds to test out on a trial basis.

Is there any reason why this powder is more expensive than others? Are they ball, flake, or stick? What are the pros and cons, and for heavy subs which one(s) are better suited? For supers do these offer any advantage over H110 (which is readily available)?

Anything at all, just a general campfire discussion to help me learn a bit about these would be nice. Thanks!

On a side note I know at least one of the members here used some various powders that got the noise down quite a lot and were very clean burning as well. While I am asking about the one particular brand I would be interested in hearing more about other types of powders as well for SBR use, that is both clean and quiet.

We had this discussion a little bit about a year ago but I couldn't find it when I searched. I want to try a wide variety of stuff... so let me know about these powders or others that I could test out as well. I want to create a list and maybe just test run or experiment on some new stuff if possible.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: VihtaVuori Powders for 300 BLK

Post by rebel »

If you google - 300 Blackout/ VihtaVuori powders, all kinds of stuff pops up, mostly this forum. I see no need to rehash that info until you are loading it and have a specific question.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

rebel wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:18 pm If you google - 300 Blackout/ VihtaVuori powders, all kinds of stuff pops up, mostly this forum. I see no need to rehash that info until you are loading it and have a specific question.
I was more like thinking about buying some to try out. I won't spend the money on almost anything until I get the low down on what I am getting into.

I was also looking more for general information about said powders and which ones are worth trying or give some kind of noticeable benefit.

For that matter, any brand of powder I am game to try, but not just randomly.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

You might get a copy of quickload to play with, i recently had the chance to play with it, you can play with different powders and oal's and such and it will give you some good ideas on which powders are good or not to an extent.........gives all sorts of good data and info for different loads. Just be sure the combo you look up is what you intend to load and not interject the wrong bullet for that same charge and oal..........

VV powders are in quickload as well.

VV powders are pretty clean.

Like Rebel said, if you google it it'll bring up a bunch on this forum to read.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

I have had extremely good luck with N110 and N120. Like others said, generally cleaner and quieter than most of the others I have tried.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

Flatliner wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:59 am I have had extremely good luck with N110 and N120. Like others said, generally cleaner and quieter than most of the others I have tried.
Which one should I try first or should I just get a bottle of each? Is one primarily for supers like H110 or something different? What is the niche or optimal performance area between the two?

I am just looking for basic information here not a scientific expose on any of them.

Keep in mind these are just tack on items to an order because it's nearly impossible to find these on my local shelves.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

N110 - pistol gas
N120 - carbine gas
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

And if you are not trying to cycle an AR, N105 is the quietest of the three. It can cycle an AR, but you will likely need to be willing to tinker a fair amount.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

And if you are not trying to cycle an AR, N105 is the quietest of the three. It can cycle an AR, but you will likely need to be willing to tinker a fair amount.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

N105 pistol gas suppressed SBR
N110 pistol & carbine gas suppressed + light supers
N120 pistol & carbine gas non suppressed or suppressed + heavy supers.

Generally cleaner than other powders in the same burn rate range. All VV powders have an anti copper fouling agent. Hornady has good data for all three powders. All three ar AR friendly, N105 benefits from a suppressor.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.