Challenges cutting down 556/223 and forming to 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Challenges cutting down 556/223 and forming to 300 blackout

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Why cut cut so close to max length? No need to do that. I’ve been cutting and trimming to 1.350 for a VERY long time without issue.

After making the brass I never have to trim again. I use only neck tension to hold bulletsssnd I have never had an issue.

If you happen to have a chamber with the neck a little short or your case grows beyond your chamber’s max length it could be dangerous. When the case mouth is too long the throat will wedge the case mouth closed so it cannot release the bullet. This will increase pressures to dangerous levels.

Even shooting subsonic loads can be dangerous. People assume subsonic loads are low pressure but they can, and often do, reach max pressures.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Challenges cutting down 556/223 and forming to 300 blackout

Post by gomeybear »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 pm Why cut cut so close to max length? No need to do that. I’ve been cutting and trimming to 1.350 for a VERY long time without issue.

After making the brass I never have to trim again. I use only neck tension to hold bulletsssnd I have never had an issue.

If you happen to have a chamber with the neck a little short or your case grows beyond your chamber’s max length it could be dangerous. When the case mouth is too long the throat will wedge the case mouth closed so it cannot release the bullet. This will increase pressures to dangerous levels.

Even shooting subsonic loads can be dangerous. People assume subsonic loads are low pressure but they can, and often do, reach max pressures.

Thanks for the tips, Gents. Good to know that, Dolomite. I’ll start cutting it down to around that length too then. I was just trying to get it right on the money when setting it in the case gauge that I have.