Best reloading dies?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ur2ez22

Best reloading dies?

Post by ur2ez22 »

Thought for sure I’d find this searching, but not coming up with anything. There are a handful of quality companies making reloading dies, but even within that it seems some calibers are better served by 1-2 companies compared to others. I’m running a Dillon 550 and focused on subsonic rounds primarily for fun shooting through a suppressor (perhaps some minor hunting). Which dies are people having the best success with?
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best reloading dies?

Post by TRshootem »

I'm certain this question is one the most common, and with that in mind, you will no doubt receive any number of solid suggestions based on some who have their personal favorites. I use Dillon dies on my 550's when possible, but in the case of 300 BLK, I'm using the Hornady dies. I can use different seating stems based on the bullets profile, and use the seating die micrometer adjustment stem. Formed, chopped, and loaded nearly 2K of LC as well as other good cases all in these dies. Early on, my first formed cases were run without cutting first. Lubing the inside of the neck and rolling the case on a pad, one stroke resulted in a case formed and ready to final cut to length. No issues were encountered, this was done on a RCBS single stage. Now I cut first and then form my brass. I tried some other brands of dies, these have been my choice because they worked well. Some very fine precision dies are available, some of the hand loaders will share their thoughts.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I generally use the Lyman dies for 300 BLK, but I also keep the RCBS small base on hand in case it is needed.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Forster
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Post by Smurky »

I load coated lead bullets subsonic on a 550. I use the Dillon size/trim die with a 1500 trimmer to outside size/trim case then clean the lube off by running the cases through a vibratory cleaner with walnut. Then expand the inside of the casemouth with a NOE plug in a lee universal neck expanding die in station 1, powder charge in station 2, Forster ultimate seater in station 3 and a Lee Factory Crimp Die in station 4. If you’re planning on seating one bullet the majority of the time the Forster Benchrest seater does as good of a job seating bullets as the Ultimate but without the micrometer. It saves a little money but doesn’t have the flexibility of the micrometer when changing bullets/seating depth of bullets.

It takes two steps but works well for me.